Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been assigned to work on a rather large set of data at work, so large that it takes the software about five minutes to save and I need to save at least twice an hour. The software will also lock up for a minute any time it need to refresh calculation. My BGG subscriptions are caught up. I've listened to all my podcasts. I've read everything on Fark and Google News and Reddit that I care to read about. I've even gotten so desperate as to start reading the RSP forum. Any suggestions for things I can do while I'm waiting on software to run?

Difficulty factors:
1) No access to streaming media.
2) Can't install software (no admin rights).
3) My desk is too small to play Onirim.

I've thought about playing solitaire Agricola on boitajeux, but I've done that before and I tend to forget my plans/strategy between turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
Free stuff to do:

Here's a fun little game
http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

Or you could play on a mud
https://www.genesismud.org/

Or you could practice learning a new language:
https://www.duolingo.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've resorted to reading RSP threads, then I'm afraid you're too far gone and there is no longer anything that can be done for you.
Oh well; you had a good run up 'til now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Austintown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
supersnake.io

a time waster.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the time stamp, you're getting up way to early. Go back to bed for at least two hours and start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
supersnake.io

This is cool, but I keep getting timed out. I think when I'm saving, my database has higher internet priority than my browser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Looking at the time stamp, you're getting up way to early. Go back to bed for at least two hours and start over.

Benefits of leaving work at 3PM:
1) 7 minute commute time
2) If I need to go to a store after work, there is no waiting in line.
3) Some of my gaming friends will meet me at 5PM.

Benefits of leaving work at 5PM:
0)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:
Or you could practice learning a new language:
https://www.duolingo.com/

I need something like this for my CPA exam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
I've been assigned to work on a rather large set of data at work, so large that it takes the software about five minutes to save and I need to save at least twice an hour. The software will also lock up for a minute any time it need to refresh calculation.

I can't get past this. What are you doing? And how are you doing it?

In my mind I'm imagining you scraping the entire twitterverse with a TRS-80 in BASIC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:

I work in financial consulting. The file I'm working on contains about 18K stock transactions and each transaction has roughly 20 attributes associated with it. We are running an SQL database with an interface that was programmed in .NET. (Personally, I'm not tech enough to know if this is a good build or not, but I am tech enough to know that most Microsoft packages suck.)

Part of the problem is that the original lead developer was genuinely incompetent. Many of the functions that he promised would run faster in SQL than they did in our old Excel spreadsheets actually run slower. We also know there is a memory leak in the software that was discovered over five years ago, but IT has yet to fix it. The leak causes the program to slow down the more changes you make to the data, and the only way to "plug" the leak is to close the file and reopen it. So this is effectively why I have to save every 30-40 minutes.

For some reason our save times run exponential to the size of the data file (i.e. doubling the file size seems to quadruple the save time) so while most of our data files (under 2K) save pretty quickly, when you start to get over 4K in size, the save times are ridiculous. Perhaps a related problem is that we have to have a running cash calculations and running share totals that change on every line of data, something which I suspect Excel is better equipped to handle than SQL is. I think the data refreshes all of these calculations from scratch every time we save, but I don't know that for a fact.

We have centralized securities database that our data files need to access in order for our pricing calculations to work properly. However, we all have to have a local copy of this database on our computers for reasons which are not clear to me, but this creates about 500MB worth of memory overhead while running the software. Whenever we save a data file, the securities database has to sync with the central database. Not only does this take at least a minute (even if there are no changes to either copy of database) but the sync process isn't reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Verdigris97 wrote:

I work in financial consulting. The file I'm working on contains about 18K stock transactions and each transaction has roughly 20 attributes associated with it. We are running an SQL database with an interface that was programmed in .NET. (Personally, I'm not tech enough to know if this is a good build or not, but I am tech enough to know that most Microsoft packages suck.)

Part of the problem is that the original lead developer was genuinely incompetent. Many of the functions that he promised would run faster in SQL than they did in our old Excel spreadsheets actually run slower. We also know there is a memory leak in the software that was discovered over five years ago, but IT has yet to fix it. The leak causes the program to slow down the more changes you make to the data, and the only way to "plug" the leak is to close the file and reopen it. So this is effectively why I have to save every 30-40 minutes.

For some reason our save times run exponential to the size of the data file (i.e. doubling the file size seems to quadruple the save time) so while most of our data files (under 2K) save pretty quickly, when you start to get over 4K in size, the save times are ridiculous. Perhaps a related problem is that we have to have a running cash calculations and running share totals that change on every line of data, something which I suspect Excel is better equipped to handle than SQL is. I think the data refreshes all of these calculations from scratch every time we save, but I don't know that for a fact.

We have centralized securities database that our data files need to access in order for our pricing calculations to work properly. However, we all have to have a local copy of this database on our computers for reasons which are not clear to me, but this creates about 500MB worth of memory overhead while running the software. Whenever we save a data file, the securities database has to sync with the central database. Not only does this take at least a minute (even if there are no changes to either copy of database) but the sync process isn't reliable.

After reading this, I'm going to go back to bed. My brain just exploded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

You want more?

Sometimes the software will simply lock up when either deleting a line or trying to cut and paste data, so sometimes after performing a major fix to the data, I will simply save out of fear of losing whatever work I've done so far.

When the software locks up, it keeps us logged into the system. For security reasons, we cannot be logged in twice nor do we have a way of logging ourselves off of the application's server. This means we cannot get back into the software until the server tests our login for inactivity. Timeout testing is done once every ten minutes.

My supervisor genuinely does not understand why these large accounts always come in over budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Son #2 works in IT. Whenever he starts to explain what he does, I threaten to disown him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
SQL should be faster, but only if the database is set up properly. It sounds like it's not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds absolutely terrible. I am not a databases person (I'm a numerical algorithms person) but this seems so wrong on so many levels.

One of the bean counters ought to calculate how many person-hours a week are lost because of a sh*tty DB implementation. I bet they'd fix the problem immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
One of the bean counters ought to calculate how many person-hours a week are lost because of a sh*tty DB implementation. I bet they'd fix the problem immediately.
There you go, something to do in your downtime!

I have access to 2 physical computers (and a virtual desktop, but some of the software I use doesn't run on that) at work, so that when one is number crunching I work on something else on the other. My employer at least realises that computers are cheap compared to our time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:

Been there. Done that. You lost the bet. It a long story, but the punchline comes down to managerial politics and bad company culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you switch the save location to a flash drive? That might be significantly faster.

Orangemoose wrote:
Son #2 works in IT. Whenever he starts to explain what he does, I threaten to disown him.

"Never explain."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in IT and there is lot's of down time. Between waiting on reboots, waiting on installs or they users just won't get back to you I often have lots of downtime. I made the transition to a desk job 5 years ago and often wonder if I made a mistake. But to fill the time:

BGG laugh
Read rule books
Read work related books and study new tech. Boring but I do it sometimes.
Watch YouTube. We don't block it where I work.
Reddit. Also not blocked. Actually has some good IT and computer related threads.
Podcasts
Yucata.de. for board gaming fun.

You can also use your smartphone to goof off if your PC is locked down too tight.

Edit: I only RSP because I am bored at work. if I was busier at work I would never get involved in that muck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I work in IT and there is lot's of down time.

I used to work in telephone tech support. We had a very high end client that required a zero wait time, so we were severely overstaffed. On top of that, we would help their clients with anything they wanted, even if it wasn't related to the product we were being paid to support. So my company had to turn the firewall for us in order to meet contract requirements. I wasn't into boardgaming back then, but I was big into bridge. Yahoo Games had a respectable community of bridge players at the time, so that's where I "hung out" most of the day. So there was a time in my life where, for about a year, I got paid to sit and play bridge for six hours a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could bring a notebook and start doing some game design. I've found it's a fun distraction that keeps my brain active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My old job, I'd bring my gaming laptop and set it up in my cubicle next to my work computer. Civ IV at work is a beautiful thing... of course, your bosses may be less understanding than mine were at the time.

...barring that, Kindle on your smartphone is a good thing for boredom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:
Or you could play on a mud
https://www.genesismud.org/

I really need to say thanks for this one. Its getting a bit hard to do at work because now that I'm on a new project I can't always check the game before the one hour timeout. A friend I know IRL is playing with me though and we've had some fun in the evenings doing quests together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: OMG, I'm booooored! "TWO TIMES"!
shake WHA-A-A-A-T-! sans "dibs" AND further 'mention' upon THE "unmentionable" also "TWO TIMES"!
Orangemoose wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.