Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I really like board games with cool minis. Two of the board games that I’ve spent the most time playing are Kingdom Death: Monster and Super Dungeon Explore! Both are great games with fantastic minis- although the tones each use could hardly be farther apart.

The developers of these games know each other, and When both games went to Kickstarter, they took the opportunity to do a cool cross over. So means that we got a really cute chibi of the Twilight Knight.

She makes a great mini, and I’d have been happy to leave it off there, but the fluff on her card implies that if those super cute Super Dungeon characters go into the Nether Rift in their seting, they end up in the brutal and bloody hell world of Kingdom Death.

So I got to thinking about this, and decided that I really needed to expand on this idea of the cute little chibis on the Planes of Faces.

Yes, these are all playable, and I'm going to continue to create Chibi versions of Kingdom Death monsters.

These are just the start. I'll be able to post up the chibi antelope and butcher sometime soon. I haven't started work on the Kingsman and the Hand just yet, but I have plans for them.

One thing I've noticed is that the larger monsters often already look right at home with the chibis (the Gorm is a good example of one that just needs the right paintjob). I'll be posting them all up as I finish them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Super Kingdom Death Explore!
This is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great! Were these the minis we caught in the picture of the KD booth case showing off finished figs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Paint job looks awesome.

In some spare time I've been writing up a vastly simplified version of Kingdom Death: Monster with the Super Dungeon Explore aesthetic in mind! I was wanting to keep the same basic idea of taking care of a Settlement through a stretch of time, while having to go out and forage for supplies to build/upgrade the Settlement or Gear. I've been taking out all the more adult elements, not because I have anything against it, I love the adult aspects of KDM, but because I'm wanting to target it a bit more towards kids. So I'm wanting to simplify combat down to a few dice rolls (making the tactical portion optional) and make it so that you could realistically go through the lifespan of a settlement in one session.

It's basically KDM lite with some re-skinning, but I'll see how it goes. I'm wanting to change out the monsters as well though with slightly parodied versions:

• White Elephant
• Nightmare Llama
• Jabberwocky
• Knights
• The Big Foot
• The Watch Man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wondercat
France
Montpellier
Herault
flag msg tools
My friends call me "Sly" during games. I can't propose alliances anymore.
badge
My wife and I are offering painting commission services for your miniatures !
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea and even better execution

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
This is awesome!

He's right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
sirgalin wrote:
That's great! Were these the minis we caught in the picture of the KD booth case showing off finished figs?

Yup, I recognised them as Odin's work as soon as I saw the photos of the cabinet

Hey Odin, nice to see you outside of Blood bowl! That white Lion is adapted from Impact!'s line isn't it?

Yes it is.

One of the reasons that this was finished in time for Gencon is because Impact has a category in the painting competition. I won a cool trophy that lights up and changes colors.

Shame was, there was only one other chibi diorama, and I don't think it had any Impact minis in it. Tom told me he thought it was a shame, partly because he thought I would still have won had there been a lot of entries.

There were plenty of single chibis, though. The project I'm making will be constructed mostly of Sodapop and Impact minis- so far I haven't found a KDM character that wants to be based on an Arcadia Quest mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, just imagine a Gorm with chibi eyes... I think it might end up more disturbing that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The paint on the mini trumps any fluff in the books. I've never felt restricted to painting a mini in 'official' colors.

However, when I'm creating my own ones from other chibis, I'll want to stick to something near officialness because it helps them be recognizable. But if I'm just using the proper Gorm as a base, there's no need to make sure he can be spotted as a gorm.

I have a client who is having me paint his straight up Kingdom Death game, so I'll have an opportunity to do both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Two things spring up in my mind:

1. Holy cr*p that looks awesomefantastic!
2. Where can I get these???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the twilight knight is from Super Dungeon Explore. She's currently not in stock at their store, but I don't doubt that they'll restock her sometime (I don't know much she goes for on Ebay).

The lion is based on a Winged Lion from Impact! Miniatures. The wings are optional in the kit. His neck is moded a tiny bit so that I could turn his head that far, and his hands have been extended with green stuff.

As I convert more of these minis, they're getting increasingly distinct with more and more sculpting to alter them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Twilight Knight is the only SDE figure that is truly exclusive. This is due to the fact that Soda Pop doesn't own the rights to the art for the figure. So unless there's some licensing deal at some point, it won't be re-released. As a result, it tends to go for quite a pretty penny compared to the rest of the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
sirgalin wrote:
The Twilight Knight is the only SDE figure that is truly exclusive. This is due to the fact that Soda Pop doesn't own the rights to the art for the figure. So unless there's some licensing deal at some point, it won't be re-released. As a result, it tends to go for quite a pretty penny compared to the rest of the line.

The wording back during the campaign suggested that the licensing agreement factored in Soda Pop's no exclusive policy. That doesn't mean they'll ever make more, but they probably can if they choose to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Kingdom Death: Chibi. I would totally play that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I do.

Yes- during the campaign they stated that the Twilight Knight was non-exclusive.

Also, they mentioned that they re-negotiated the deal with Adam Poots, and that Survivor Candy would eventually be non-exclusive.

I suspect she'll eventually get a release like the ones from this year's Gencon- and it will probably include a Relic Knights card for her (along with a Soda Lantern card, I'll bet).

Adam Poots and John Candice are friends (Adam told me at Gencon that he had done some playtesting for Super Dungeon Explore with them). I figure that it wouldn't be too hard for them to make a deal about getting the minis out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing my project to create a set of Kingdom Death: Monsters using chibi minis, here is my Screaming Antelope. I find that I really enjoy mixing the brutal nightmare setting of Kingdom Death with the cuteness of chibi minis.

He was created using mostly parts from Impact! Miniatures- the head started out as a chibi beastman, and the body came from a nightmare (one of the largest of their chibi pony miniatures). I sculpted the mouth and teeth in the belly, and moved the legs around to turn it into an antelope (and sculpted most of details to make up the difference).

I'll be posting up some of the nemesis monsters soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Thanksgiving, we finished off our Kingdom Death Monster campaign with an epic battle against the Watcher.

It was pretty glorious. We played with all the Chibi conversions of KDM minis I've made, and the survivors were all heroes from Super Dungeon Explore. Princess Ruby was pretty awesome with her bone darts and monster tooth necklace.

Now that I've admitted to finishing off more Kingdom Death Chibis than I've shown off, I figure I'd better get to posting them. Here's the Butcher:

And if you don't know what Kingdom Death: Monster is, you should probably have a look at the outstanding Kickstarter that they're running right now. The fact that it got to 3.5 million overnight is not overstating the quality of the game- it is fantastic on pretty much every level- brilliant minis, fantastic rules set, terrific art, crazy loads of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
That looks amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can I like, steal you, and make you make those for me.

(on a serious note, you should seriously contact Adam about this. this would sell like hot cakes ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wondercat
France
Montpellier
Herault
flag msg tools
My friends call me "Sly" during games. I can't propose alliances anymore.
badge
My wife and I are offering painting commission services for your miniatures !
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo well done. No mistake about who he is !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zenman12 wrote:
Can I like, steal you, and make you make those for me.

(on a serious note, you should seriously contact Adam about this. this would sell like hot cakes ).

If you're serious, I take commissions through GardenNinja.com. I'm a full time painter/sculptor.

I showed the first ones to Adam at Gencon. He liked them- and displayed them in his case during the convention (I took them out for a bit so that they could go and win a trophy in the competition- prize money was quickly turned into a Sunstalker).

He can't reproduce these sculpts- none of them are 100% my sculpting work (I used some parts from other minis, and sculpted some).

If he decides to do sets of chibi Kingdom Death stuff, I'd be flattered, but he'd probably just use either his normal sculptors, or make a deal with his friends at Ninja Division (who recently did chibi sculpts for Siege of the Citadel- so I'll be playing SotC with chibis too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.