Hide
6 Posts

Unfair» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions (assorted) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris capasso
msg tools
Hey guys, SeoHyun from kickstarter, just had some assorted rules clarifications I wanted to inquire about.

1. Extra insurance plus Arsonists? My friend got 82 (!!!) coins. Just wanted to make sure these cards interact favorably.

2. Where do cards revealed from Robopocalypse go after you reach a card that you can build?

3. Demolishing doesn't alter the placement of attractions, correct? I'm assuming they don't slide over.

4. The text on quality upgrades confuses me. Are they specifying that quality upgrades with the same name can be added to the same attraction?

5. I'm unsure if Celebrity Guest allows you to open an attraction if all of your attractions are already closed. I'm assuming not, you can only close all but one attraction.

6. Instant Karma negates the opponent's event card? I'm assuming that's what the card refers to when it says to discard the opposing event.

(Ninja trick house edit) 7. Any special rules for 5 players that nees to be known? We just played normal rules with all available packs.

Some of these might be really silly but this game has a lot of nuanced rules and effects, and I just wanted to clarify for playtesting accuracy. I'm also planning to post a playtest results compilation, with scores and possibly general play-by-play, so I want to make sure I understand all of the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
awkamess wrote:
1. Extra insurance plus Arsonists? My friend got 82 (!!!) coins. Just wanted to make sure these cards interact favorably.

Arsonists destroys the top two upgrades on one attraction, so with insurance, that must mean that they lost 41 coins worth of upgrades, something like a 4-star quality plus a vampire theme? That's a lucky insurance result, but let's not gloss over the fact that your friend lost two of the most expensive upgrades in the game in the process

awkamess wrote:
2. Where do cards revealed from Robopocalypse go after you reach a card that you can build?

Good catch, we've had this comment from a couple of sources. The card has been updated to include "Discard any unused cards." and that will appear when we do the next update of the PnP files.

awkamess wrote:
3. Demolishing doesn't alter the placement of attractions, correct? I'm assuming they don't slide over.

Correct, attractions can't be moved after building (except by a card power...)

awkamess wrote:
4. The text on quality upgrades confuses me. Are they specifying that quality upgrades with the same name can be added to the same attraction?

The intention is to indicate that Quality upgrades can ignore the no-duplicate-upgrades rule. This is the huge benefit of Quality, and part of why they're so expensive - you can spend as much money on the quality of an attraction as you like. Any thoughts on how to word it to make it clearer?

awkamess wrote:
5. I'm unsure if Celebrity Guest allows you to open an attraction if all of your attractions are already closed. I'm assuming not, you can only close all but one attraction.

Correct. "Close" means "set the card to its facedown state". You can close something that's already closed. So if your park has 5 closed attractions, you can close 4 of them again, and the 5th one will still be closed.

awkamess wrote:
6. Instant Karma negates the opponent's event card? I'm assuming that's what the card refers to when it says to discard the opposing event.

Ah I see the ambiguity now, it's not clear whether it discards itself or the original event. Like all of the other reaction cards (blocking of attack events), Instant Karma is revealed and then discarded. It doesn't cancel the original event, it simply duplicates it. In fact, you can't use Instant Karma if you are not affected by the event, so it must have completed before you react to it.

I'll reword that portion to make it clearer - thanks!

awkamess wrote:
Some of these might be really silly but this game has a lot of nuanced rules and effects, and I just wanted to clarify for playtesting accuracy. I'm also planning to post a playtest results compilation, with scores and possibly general play-by-play, so I want to make sure I understand all of the rules!

None of those seem silly, and I'm glad you asked. I've tried to be as precise as possible with the card rules but there are still slippery little cases like these that get through!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris capasso
msg tools
On quality upgrades: I would say maybe include the specific type of quality upgrade in the wording to represent that it overrules the duplicate rule. For example, "An attraction can have any number of [deluxe/superior/etc] quality upgrades." It's a pretty hard rule to word correctly and not have it look clunky.

On 5 player rules edit: any additional 5 player rules?

I understand these things so much better now. If I have anymore questions I'll be sure to add them to this thread. Thank you for all of your help so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
awkamess wrote:
For example, "An attraction can have any number of [deluxe/superior/etc] quality upgrades."

Good call, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

I'm glad people are trying out the rules and asking questions because I don't have the time.

Thanks for digging in and asking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris capasso
msg tools
Of course! I've played 5 rounds over the last few days and I'm looking to add more tonight. Working towards a playtesting data compilation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.