Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, all!

My coworkers and I finished a delightful playthrough of EH yesterday. While battling Yog, we encountered a mystery that called on us to do the following:

> Cast a spell with a Lore test.
> If we passed the Lore test, we could then discard the spell, plus a clue, to advance the mystery.

As happens, this was our last mystery! The clock was winding down, and we only needed one more eldritch token on the card to meet the winning conditions at the end of the mythos phase. Here's what two of my coworkers did:

One had an item (an artifact, I believe) that, when used, would cost him one sanity.

Another had a spell that he could cast "once per round" to prevent an investigator from losing sanity, up to two sanity tokens.

So -- the first coworker used this item *on purpose* to lose sanity, and the other coworker cast his spell to prevent it. He passed the Lore test, discarded the spell, spent a clue, and we all hung on until the end of the following mythos phase.

Was this kosher? Specifically, doing something on purpose to cause sanity loss.

Also, was it kosher for the second coworker to cast the spell when he did? The text on the card seemed to suggest he could cast the spell any time someone lost sanity.

Thanks, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It'd probably help to know the exact cards you used. Offhand I'd say it was probably fine. If the item says it can be used as an action, and that's when your coworker used it then all is well. Same for the spell, so long as they don't explicitly say when and where they can be used I'd think what you did was within the rules. Congrats on the win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hey there! Thanks for the reply. If memory serves:

> The "sanity-draining" item was connected to an action.
> The "sanity-saving" spell was not -- it simply said "once per round."

And thanks for the congrats! Though we're not quiiiite counting it as a win -- we took a few mulligans on moves. (We kept discovering *better* courses of action than the ones we took.) Plus, it was a first playthrough for my coworkers. We counted it as more of an exploratory mission than anything.

But holy CROM did we have fun! Once we got rolling, the game really came to life. So impressive. And as much as I love Arkham Horror, Eldritch just plays so much smoother.

Thanks again for the 411!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may spend sanity/stamina as long as it won't kill your investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the artefact said that you spend Sanity then this would be illegal. According to the reference guide -

Quote:
Effects that prevent the loss of Health or Sanity cannot be used
when an investigator spends Health or Sanity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
DaveD wrote:
If the artefact said that you spend Sanity then this would be illegal. According to the reference guide -

Quote:
Effects that prevent the loss of Health or Sanity cannot be used
when an investigator spends Health or Sanity

Ahhhhhh! Nice find! Oh, well -- I guess we borked up that one. I'll try to track down the card we used. We'll get 'em next time! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if it were an artifact that said something like, "Action: Gain 1 Clue. Lose 1 Sanity," then it be perfectly valid for another player to cast a spell to prevent that Sanity loss -- in fact, that's a great use of that spell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
randomlife wrote:
But if it were an artifact that said something like, "Action: Gain 1 Clue. Lose 1 Sanity," then it be perfectly valid for another player to cast a spell to prevent that Sanity loss -- in fact, that's a great use of that spell!

Hey there! Thanks for the comment! Yeah, I'm honestly not sure of the text of the cards in question, but I'll bear this in mind for my next play. (Which I can't wait to do! Love this game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.