$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're considering rebasing the minis this might be useful.

Breakdown of miniatures/bases of the games/expansions:

Size of original bases:
Investigators: Circular, 25mm diameter
Small monsters: Square, 40x40mm
Medium monsters: Square, 55x55mm
Large monsters: Square, 75x75mm

Second Edition:

Base Game:
Investigators: 8
Small monsters: 18 (including 6 cultists)
Medium monsters: 4
Large monsters: 2

(NOT RELEASED YET) Recurring Nightmares (Includes the tiles, investigators and monsters (except for the cultists) from the first edition base set):
Small monsters: 14
Medium monsters: 2

(NOT RELEASED YET) Suppressed Memories (Includes the tiles, investigators and monsters from the first edition expansions Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy):
Small monsters: 13

First Edition:

Base Game:
Small monsters: 20 (including 6 cultists)
Medium monsters: 2

Call of the Wild:
Investigators: 4
Small monsters: 9

Forbidden Alchemy:
Investigators: 4
Small monsters: 4

If you notice any mistakes please tell me, thanks!

(Sorry for the convoluted title, if you have a better idea I'm all ears)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will be rebasing soon, so thank you for this!

I'm curious of the large base monsters will fit on 40 mm circular bases. (Star Spawn and Dark Young at least... Dunwich might be too big)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've rebased the 1st edition monsters using Shadows of Brimstone bases (for a conversion I still haven't finished), and that worked out quite well. The bases from that game are 30mm, 40mm, and 60mm. The only monster that didn't fit on one was the Dunwich Horror (his legs basically all reached outside the 60mm base), so I'm looking for a good base for that.

I have yet to rebase the 2nd edition monsters, but they're on the to-do list after the new SoB stuff that just came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:
I will be rebasing soon, so thank you for this!

I'm curious of the large base monsters will fit on 40 mm circular bases. (Star Spawn and Dark Young at least... Dunwich might be too big)

I chose bases which diameter matches the width of the original monster bases (so 40, 55 and 75mm respectively). 55 and 75 mm is not the most common sizes though, and might be a little on the big side for a majority of the monsters (except for the Dunwich Horror as it seems, but I don't have that mini (yet)).

That said, many of the larger models should fit on 40mm I would imagine.
I can check later, but I don't have the minis from Call of The Wild and Forbidden Alchemy though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completed an order from Litko yesterday and ordered the following items:

50 x Clear Miniature Bases, Circular 25mm
(Base Thickness: 1.5mm)

10 x Clear Miniature Bases, Circular 40mm

10 x Clear Miniature Bases, Circular 50mm

10 x Clear Miniature Bases, Circular 60mm

I tried to have a decent variety to cover all my... bases. I also ordered quite a few so I would be good for the expansions without having to pay shipping again. You also get a volume discount, but I only achieved that with the 25mm bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
I completed an order from Litko yesterday and ordered the following items:

50 x Clear Miniature Bases, Circular 25mm

10 x Clear Miniature Bases, Circular 40mm

10 x Clear Miniature Bases, Circular 50mm

10 x Clear Miniature Bases, Circular 60mm

I tried to have a decent variety to cover all my... bases. I also ordered quite a few so I would be good for the expansions without having to pay shipping again. You also get a volume discount, but I only achieved that with the 25mm bases.

I had a similar order, except I didn't go as big. I went:

50x 25mm (for all the investigators and human-sized monsters)
25x 30mm (for most medium sized monsters)
25x 40mm (for the bigger monsters)

I might end up needing bigger bases if the 40's are too wobbly for the large minis. I'm certain that the Dunwich Horror is going to need his own special base considering how wide he is. But his legs also let him stand without a base at all, so I may just not base him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a noob question. To remove the pegs from the feet of the minis, will I need cutters or is that something I can manage with an X-acto knife (or equivalent)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Here's a noob question. To remove the pegs from the feet of the minis, will I need cutters or is that something I can manage with an X-acto knife (or equivalent)?

Sharp X-acto or a good hobby knife works fine.

I also purchased my bases from Litko. So far I'm sticking with 25mm, 40mm, and 60mm. I used 40mm for Deep Ones and Cthonians and 60mm for Shoggoths. Still working on painting and basing the rest.
My order was: 50ea 25mm, 25ea 40mm, 10ea 60mm, and #33 acrylic cement.

I'm hoping that will cover my 1st and 2nd editions, but I might have to order more once the tile/figure collections come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Another noob question, should I paint them before rebasing? Or base them and be careful, or cover with masking tape or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Thanks!

Another noob question, should I paint them before rebasing? Or base them and be careful, or cover with masking tape or something?

I'm basing mine after painting and varnishing them. (I'm using clear acrylic bases)
I used Blu-Tack to temporarily fix them to some cardboard "bases" I cut from some box I had while working on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
should I paint them before rebasing? Or base them and be careful, or cover with masking tape or something?

Whatever works best for you! The disadvantage of basing before painting is that you may now have areas, like the underside, of the miniature that are harder to paint because the base will block your access to these areas. The advantage of basing before painting is that you can hold the base while you paint. You can use Vallejo Liquid Mask to prevent mistakes, although just repainting will work. Myself, I would paint the miniature separately from the base. Mount the miniature onto cork or a paint pot so you don't touch it while painting.

Anyone looking for fancy bases can dig around FRPGame's Clearance sections. I recommend browsing by the discount level:
http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=overstock&d=6&level=5&mfg=
http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=overstock&d=1&level=4&mfg=

65mm bases: http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=search&s=65mm
70mm bases: http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=search&s=70mm+base
75mm bases: http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=search&s=75mm+base
80mm bases: http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=search&s=80mm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.