Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is just a heads-up for anyone interested in the promo materials-- these are not the same material as regular ones. I've gotten quite a few of the gear cards, a settlement event, and the hunt events.

These are probably small print run, and obviously not done with the same process as the core or expansion content. This isn't really an issue with gear, but with the randomizers, this is extremely obvious- I'm talking 1+mm difference in width (so they'd need cutting or sleeves to not be obvious when shuffling) and in the case of the hunt events, it's very clear which aren't the same: while the regular ones are a reddish grey, these are a yellowish grey. This isn't slight variation, this is just plain not matching- they look like a well-made fan printing, not a seamless integration. I haven't figured out how to sleeve them yet, but my hunt event cards are definitely getting opaque backs, now.

Hope this helps let people know what they're getting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, that really sucks. I already received the full set but haven't opened or integrated them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Luckily I have everything sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The tree's also really obvious? That's too bad, it's the one I don't have, so didn't know about that either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
The tree's also really obvious? That's too bad, it's the one I don't have, so didn't know about that either.

It's slightly off in the coloring. If you pay attention, you'll notice, but if you aren't looking too closely it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Someone suggested it is possible they are made with version 1.4 in mind. But I'm not sure why there would be a big need to change the colour in the first place... Its a bit disappointing to hear from such a premium product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it isn't that hard to keep print colors consistent, I have no idea why there'd be that much of a problem, coming from someone who obviously has a design background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh there is so much variation in the card back colors of one monster's own deck its fine. For instance my White Lion's hunt event colors range from light brown to dark brown. I don't think this would bother me too much. Also I sleeve the cards so the width differences will not be felt. Yes, the promo settlement event I have is totally different. However I use a randomized process for pulling these out so I never actually look at the backs until drawing the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Yeah, it isn't that hard to keep print colors consistent,

It actually really is. On a PC, no, but you're talking about mixing inks and printing physical things; it's incredibly easy for just one thing being different for the whole scheme to go radically off color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, and that's why you print from the same place with the same process. I think he cut corners on the print run and did it somewhere that's a better deal for a small run, hence the different color, considering the core cards are a solid color and the expansion ones are barely stripey- the difference between digital and digital offset, if I had to guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you think it was done on purpose to make sure they weren't seen as official?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were probably a lot of $200+ orders too (just for the promos!). Spending that much, you really hope that you're paying, in part, for congruency.

All in all though, still very happy with the quality of Poots' stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, pricing the stuff out, the amount he charged on those single models, it should have been easy to pay for correct printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Yeah, and that's why you print from the same place with the same process.

I don't know. When we regularly see experienced publishers like FFG, Stonemaier, WotC, etc., having these kinds of issues, it makes me think it's tougher to 100% match subsequent printings than you suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. I have not ordered any promo's this summer, but got around 25 miniatures in the last one and half year. I am looking forward to the release of that content package Adam discussed in his latest newsletter.

On the flip side, I am not that thrilled about the extra cards with the Gencon promo's so far. (Besides the extra settlement event cards perhaps.)

In an earlier newsletter Adam stated the beta scenarios were lackluster and that they would be redesigned somewhere down the line. Looking forward with anticipation on that part since I can't wait to introduce the promo characters to the campaigns in a fitting and fashionable manner. Either as advisaries or playable allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, really looking forward to finally getting my promos on the table- think they were some of the game's best models, and some of the scenarios/gear in the beta were quite good.

fen, good point, hadn't thought about that side of things- yeah, it would make a lot of sense that we'd be a little more sensitive to inconsistencies.

David, if that's the case, then I think planning would have been the solution- greyscale is far easier to match, regardless, so grey instead of off-grey would have been a stronger solution- sleeved, you can't tell black settlement from black settlement without looking much closer, for instance. Unsleeved, though, there's still the problem of both finish and size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. I got a promo settlement card from the pinups of death collection and that was a good 1mm off too. It was obvious where the card was and even made shuffling the event cards difficult.

Hopefully the 1.4 runs are exact to the core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question for those of you who go the sci-fi White Speaker; how are you integrating the blood plasma katana and gun? I can't think of where to insert them. While hilarious to start The First Story with these weapons I don't feel its appropriate. How do you all recommend introducing these to a campaign (they will be introduced, there is no "don't introduce them").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
So, this is just a heads-up for anyone interested in the promo materials-- these are not the same material as regular ones. I've gotten quite a few of the gear cards, a settlement event, and the hunt events.

These are probably small print run, and obviously not done with the same process as the core or expansion content. This isn't really an issue with gear, but with the randomizers, this is extremely obvious- I'm talking 1+mm difference in width (so they'd need cutting or sleeves to not be obvious when shuffling) and in the case of the hunt events, it's very clear which aren't the same: while the regular ones are a reddish grey, these are a yellowish grey. This isn't slight variation, this is just plain not matching- they look like a well-made fan printing, not a seamless integration. I haven't figured out how to sleeve them yet, but my hunt event cards are definitely getting opaque backs, now.

Damnit, not this again!
I HATE the fact that the Basic HE and Special HE cards have significantly different tints, especially the Lonely Tree.
These cards should've simply had an opaque back, like the Tyrant Constellation cards.
I hate 'fixing' something that shouldn't be broken. Now I'll have to get some opaque sleeves as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry, the version I saw was a high level nemesis reward, and I'm thinking something similarly difficult- I think the perfect slayer and flower knight bow are good examples of the barrier/price involved since those weapons are hilariously strong. I'm slowly working towards a variant campaign, so think I might add them even as something equivalent to the twilight sword (i.e. super weapon that's dedicated/hard to get).

Hugh, yeah... it's rather unfortunate. I completely agree that house rules and physical mods should be about enhancing an experience rather than fixing one. I think you're right that, if they had any expectation to add to things like this, they should have either gotten some fantastic printing or made it very easy to reproduce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hwknight wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

Damnit, not this again!
I HATE the fact that the Basic HE and Special HE cards have significantly different tints, especially the Lonely Tree.
These cards should've simply had an opaque back, like the Tyrant Constellation cards.
I hate 'fixing' something that shouldn't be broken. Now I'll have to get some opaque sleeves as well.

Or just don't deal the basic HE cards out and draw from the bottom of the deck for each basic hunt space. That's what I'm doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
hwknight wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

Damnit, not this again!

Or just don't deal the basic HE cards out and draw from the bottom of the deck for each basic hunt space. That's what I'm doing.

So far I've just been blindly plucking from the stack. Head up and don't look at what my hand is touching. Sure I will know its a different hunt event card but I don't know which one it is! Thats why I want to get Lonely Tree so I will realize I have something unique coming up but which of the 3 basic hunt events could it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Promo White Seeker Christmas Nico card has the same size issues as the Strange Spot card. They match each other, but nothing else in the deck.

I have the Holiday White Speaker Nico as part of the Kickstarter. Is this the same mini? I did not get any cards with her ... should I have one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AGN1964 wrote:
Quote:
The Promo White Seeker Christmas Nico card has the same size issues as the Strange Spot card. They match each other, but nothing else in the deck.

I have the Holiday White Speaker Nico as part of the Kickstarter. Is this the same mini? I did not get any cards with her ... should I have one?

Poots has talked about releasing a pack of the game content (without figures) for those figures that were previously released without the content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK, I asked and got my copy some time back (haven't incorporated it because of the size difference and settlement sleeves haven't arrived yet)-- I guess it might be in that pack, too? Did anyone who got the KS also get the card? I assumed mine was a mispack, but it might have just been how they were all packed.

...Man, I really hope the promo pack's a big enough print run to warrant the right card stock- I definitely wouldn't have bought a few of those minis had I known that the quality wasn't going to match well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.