Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
$70 MSRP seems a bit steep. Guess the Asmodee monopoly is in full effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Price
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
ummm.. Cry Havoc has an MSRP of $70. Among this type of game there ares many more (and better?) recent offerings from CMON and Portal, besides of tons of Kickstarter games. Price is very much in line with all of them.

Asmodee has hardly a monopoly in this segment of the market. It couldn't get away with charging unreasonable prices and expect gamers to pay for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
ummm.. Cry Havoc has an MSRP of $70. Among this type of game there ares many more (and better?) recent offerings from CMON and portal games, besides of tons of Kicstarter games. Price is very much in line with all of them.

Asmodee has hardly a monopoly in that segment of the market. It couldn't get away with charging unresoanable prices and expect gamers to pay for them.

Cry Havoc has more plastic as do most CMON games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Espinoza wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
ummm.. Cry Havoc has an MSRP of $70. Among this type of game there ares many more (and better?) recent offerings from CMON and portal games, besides of tons of Kicstarter games. Price is very much in line with all of them.

Asmodee has hardly a monopoly in that segment of the market. It couldn't get away with charging unresoanable prices and expect gamers to pay for them.

Cry Havoc has more plastic as do most CMON games
That's why hardly any CMON game of this type has an MSRP under $80.

Is Cry Havoc really that much different component wise? I just watched the Dice Tower review by Sam and honestly I don't think so.
I think the price is very much in line with the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Festung Budapest costs $176 and has no plastic whatsoever. It doesn't even come with a board. It's not even a complete game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Festung Budapest costs $176 and has no plastic whatsoever. It doesn't even come with a board. It's not even a complete game.

Looks like garbage.. is it oop or a smaller publisher? not apples to apples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want to buy a handful of components, there are cheaper ways than in a board game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Asmodee doesn't have the rights to Monopoly, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

Looks like garbage..

To you, perhaps. To others, clearly not. A game's value is entirely subjective.

Quote:
is it oop

No

Quote:
or a smaller publisher?

It's Multiman Publishing

Quote:
not apples to apples.

No, it's an ASL expansion. And Cry Havoc isn't apples to apples because it's got way more plastic, and x isn't y because z, and yada yada yada...

If the game's too pricey, then don't buy it. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:

I love how people defend companies for jacking prices up like nothing is wrong with it. And the only come back you have is "don't buy it" shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't Cyclades have around the same MSRP before Asmodee got so big? I could be wrong though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Melancholie wrote:
Didn't Cyclades have around the same MSRP before Asmodee got so big? I could be wrong though.

No clue since they have since reaised it but I recall paying about $35-$40 new
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not sure they raised the MSRP (I paid around $45 for Cyclades at an OFLGS discount), but they're discouraging steep discounts on their products online now, so that's probably it instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Melancholie wrote:
Well, not sure they raised the MSRP (I paid around $45 for Cyclades at an OFLGS discount), but they're discouraging steep discounts on their products online now, so that's probably it instead.

Actually after April this year most of their titles went up it seems.. could be wrong but the discount dropped from about 30% to 15-20%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I love how people defend companies for jacking prices up like nothing is wrong with it.

Well, I'm not sure they've done that. Have they "jacked up the prices"?

Why would they do that and think that it's a good idea? Are their offerings really "must buy goods", otherwise how can they ignore basic price-demand principles, specially when there's still TONS of great games from many other publishers?

I stand by my statement: Inis has a price along the standard MRSP for that kind of game. If there is a "jacking up" of prices, this is not the proof of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Espinoza wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I love how people defend companies for jacking prices up like nothing is wrong with it.

Why would they do that and think that it's a good idea? Are their offerings really "must buy goods", otherwise how can they ignore basic price-demand principles, specially when there's still TONS of great games from many other publishers?

I stand by my statement: Inis has a price along the standard MRSP for that kind of game. If there is a "jacking up" of prices, this is not the proof of it.

I find it weird folks don't see any other reason for price rises than just corporate greed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shader10 wrote:
Espinoza wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I find it weird folks don't see any other reason for price rises than just corporate greed.

And I guess OP finds it weird people readily discount corporate greed as a reason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

I love how people defend companies for jacking prices up like nothing is wrong with it. And the only come back you have is "don't buy it" shake

Who's defending them? Not me.

What's your marvelous solution to corporate pricing?

And Kemet released with a MSRP of $64.99 (59 euro) in 2012 (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/866286/available-now-preord...), so I don't quite see how $70 four years later is evidence of Matagot "jacking prices up".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

Ah, so you know how much money the company put into this game along with the manufacturing and shipping costs to get it to you along with all of their costs of staying in business, so you know if they are doing this to stay afloat versus jacking up their profits for them to swim in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prices went up and there have ben changes to the pricing structures in the distribution channel. So slightly higher prices + smaller discounts = hit to the wallet. We all got used to 30+% discounts off MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gpsilberman wrote:
Prices went up and there have ben changes to the pricing structures in the distribution channel. So slightly higher prices + smaller discounts = hit to the wallet. We all got used to 30+% discounts off MSRP.

And nothing wrong with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nielsen
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These jacked up prices have been the only thing curbing my acquisition disorder in a meaningful way. Shame, the game looks quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wilky
Germany
Hilden
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the price to be about normal, people will complain about anything these days, if it is too expensive do not buy it, simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
See detailed review, with a look at the components and art here: https://youtu.be/ElcG-_-gfxo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
I find the price to be about normal, people will complain about anything these days, if it is too expensive do not buy it, simple.

This response never gets old shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.