Hide
6 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Advice for new Romulan player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Rose
msg tools
Only recently picked up this game with some flat mates and I decided to play Romulan. (They are playing Borg and Federation if you're interested)

After looking around a little, I now have the

Valdore

Haakona

Scimitar

and the starter Romulan ship

What's the best way to build this out and anything else essential that I should know or pickup though I am not looking to spend a huge amount more at the time being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! (I wonder whether we're gonna hear from the Borg guy too )

You've got some really powerful ships, and the good news is that building with them is mostly pretty straightforward. The biggest problem is one that the Romulans had for a long time: lack of flexibility in the point values. You basically have two choices: either 1) take all four, genericizing one of them (personally, I'd say the Khazara, but there are arguments to be made for anything except the Haakona) to take Donatra and skill-1 captains on all the rest, or 2) leave the Khazara out and try to find some way to spend 32 points.
If you go for the latter, here are general observations on some of the better cards you own: Toreth, Donatra, and Mendak are all excellent captains. Tactical Officer is the Romulans' best crew upgrade; you probably want him on the Scimitar since it has the most red dice and the most actions to spare. Helmsman, Security Officer, and Thalaron Weapon are a little more situational, but potentially very useful.

If you want to buy something else, my recommendations (in order) are:
1. Prototype 01
2. Apnex
3. Praetus

Prototype is really tough for a little guy, occupies a good place point-wise, can put the Haakona's disruptor pulse to good use, and has a couple of halfway-decent upgrades of its own. Other people would probably more strongly recommend the Apnex or the Praetus, but in both cases all you're really getting is a ship for Donatra and/or Mendak to ride in and one or two really powerful cards (Mirok and Interphase Generator for the Apnex, Cloaked Mines for the Praetus) (although the Praetus also has a slot for the Haakona weapons). And yeah, Cloaked Mines are really powerful, but it's hard to buy a ship for one card without feeling a teensy bit ripped off. (You might want to discuss with your flatmates whether you want to allow a certain number of proxies.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny bennet
msg tools
mbmb
Shhhh, don't help him too much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't overlap your cloaked mines. leave 1 Range in-between them to give your opponents a narrow corridor to fly if they want to try (which will almost always result in them flying into one of the fields)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vo can be a handy Donatra chariot + Mendak action taker, but keep in mind its a real bare bones pack and the only other notable card with it is massacre.
(In the old days it was fun to turn the Vo into a defensive dreadnought with Romulan Flagship, plus now you could add in Disruptor Beams).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slack
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Don't overlook ships like Gal Gath'thong, Praetus, or Jazkal. For a very small investment in points you can have a cloaked torpedo boat that can be pretty annoying to deal with. GG is only 23 points with a 5-die Plasma Torpedo upgrade. Stay cloaked, take Evade tokens as often as possible, and don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes. You might be surprised how much damage the little ships can do.

I also really like the Scorpion fighters. I tend to play them 'clean' (no upgrades), as I feel this gives the best value. They're good for protecting a weak flank, as they are a pain to kill, and too dangerous to just fly past. If you did want to get more out of them, Cloaked Fighters isn't awful. Use the speed restriction on Cloaked Fighters to your advantage and protect a specific area while making minimal moves. And just like with the Birds of Prey, take an Evade action whenever you're not sure what to do.

For right now you've got a great assortment of battlewagons, and with them the tactics change a bit. Don't be afraid to run those D'deridex cruisers around uncloaked. Your big ships are tough enough to duke it out with everyone else's, but that doesn't mean you should play fair. If someone tries to joust with your ship, cloak. If they expose a flank, run in and Target Lock them. Leave the fair fights to the Federation players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.