7 Posts

Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Long reach rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Etunimi Sukunimi
msg tools
Hey,

I was wondering about the Long Reach rule: could you put your spearmen in groups of three so that they all touch each other and help outnumber the enemy? In that way the enemy would get a -2 modifier when attacking any one of them. Or even a blob of 7 so you couldn't hit anyone without getting a -3 modifier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this Facebook post the game designer states that Long Reach is "always on" and that the outnumbering bonus applies even on defense.

So yes, you can cluster in groups of 3 or more to maximize your outnumber bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes, long reach is the best power in the game and way under-costed!

The game is still awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Baker
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like any other game with a free-form approach in unit design, its easy to design your units for maximum potential. But that defeats the purpose of the game. Try to design units around a theme instead, not to make an unbeatable roster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
JefferyB wrote:
Like any other game with a free-form approach in unit design, its easy to design your units for maximum potential. But that defeats the purpose of the game. Try to design units around a theme instead, not to make an unbeatable roster.

Agreed entirely. The pre-build units for the game are great, but the custom rules are abusable. I've been taking a shot at reworking the custom pricing rules, but it is tricky! Regardless, the game is a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree long reach is a bit undercosted, but I don't know that it's very OP. It requires staying in formation, which isn't always easy in SBH. So it only really works well with a leader & group moves or very high Quality models. And it's vulnerable to disruption from Concentrated Shooting, Terror, and Area attacks.

Most importantly, so many scenarios have victory conditions with multiple objectives, and concentrating most of your warband into a single small knot means you can't contest many of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rseater wrote:
And yes, long reach is the best power in the game and way under-costed!

Doesn't help much against ranged attacks, fear or spells, though.

As to customizing, I've found it is mostly balanced except on the edges. A restriction I've been thinking of placing is that Q2+ is a personality trait in and of itself and I've been thinking of making C5 also a personality. Leaders can still be Q2+ though (thematically important),and we've also made it so that Leaders don't affect Personalities either. This keeps a lot of potential abuses in check.

I almost never play the game with the premade warbands, but then we always strees the 'gentlemen games' aspect of it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.