Subject: Rule set differences rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who owned a copy of Escape from Atlantis back in the 80's, I picked up a copy of the 30th anniversary edition due to nostalgia and wanting to show my daughter a board game I played as a kid. The components are great, but the rules seem very different to the version I knew. Needless to say this caused arguments when I tried making moves that either the rules don't allow, or don't say that you can make. Can someone confirm for me whether the following are still allowed please?
1)Boat hopping from one boat to another
2)Jumping into a boat as a swimmer from the same space (not an adjacent one)

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacky Blue
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are valid moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yup...both legal.

And I'm *pretty* sure both of those rules were actually covered in the 30th Anniversary Edition.

I vaguely remember reading them both a couple months ago when I played for the first time...but I could be remembering things all wrong

Just a heads up in case you wanted to highlight and circle the rules for those who dare doubted a true veteran like yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I was accused of making the rules up as I went along for trying to pick up one of my swimmers with a boat that I had space in. The rule about having to have more people in a boat to control it took me by surprise though. As a kid I'd put one survivor into my brother's boat, then charge it towards the waiting sea monster... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyn Tuck

Akron
OH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The swimmer can only make one movement on a turn, and that would include getting on a boat. So the boat has to be in the swimmers space or moved into it.

The question is: Did the family enjoy it other than accusing you of making up rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the family enjoyed it, but I think I still prefer the old school version with the spinner. Seemed a much more cutthroat game for some reason. Maybe games were just more vicious playing against my brother

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indenture Forlife
msg tools
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1196268/hopping-between-boa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.