Subject: High Cost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cwelich
United States
MIDLAND
TX
flag msg tools
I've watched and read reviews for this game. I am a GoW enthusiast and we enjoy playing Coop games. This looks like a great fit but I have to say... the current price point is deterring me from making a purchase. I'd really like to play it, but I'm just not sure it's worth $80-100 to me.
I'm rather surprised that USED versions are going at or higher than list price. Even more frustrating is that if I was in this boat a while back whenever FFG put it on clearance for $20 that would've been an amazing buy.

For you long time BBG people - Do you expect the price point of this game to continue to rise or will it go down in the next 6 mo? Is it out there anywhere in the $50-60 range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I don't see the cost of this game going down anytime soon. It's a fantastic game and those people willing to part with it must be willing to do so just for financial gain. I know I wouldn't sell my copy for list or below list price, but if someone wanted to offer me $100 I would consider it.

Plus with board games gaining in popularity and the new Gears of War game on the horizon scarcity of this stellar title is only going to drive the price up.

We might see a saturation of the market when GoW4 comes out that temporarily lowers pricing, but I suspect this will be short lived and only leave pricing in the $80-$100 range

Just speculation on my part...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my FLGS has one for $60 or $80 maybe, I'll have to go look this weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Item for Geeklist "Buried Under the Cult of the New, Getting off this Crazy Train- The Auction. Ends Sunday August 28th."

Bookmark this link below and check it frequently:

http://bggauctions.workingasintended.com/auctions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth noting that if Gears were released today, its MSRP would very likely approach or exceed $100. After all, look at FFG's recent big-box releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmb
I think it's worth $100 considering the quality and quantity of miniatures. It's a pretty solid game too! It really captures the feel of the video game, and has quite a few different scenarios that all feel pretty distinct. For me it totally blows other dungeon crawlers like Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game out of the water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a used copy a while ago, the box was damaged from sun exposure, but everything in in was in order. Miniatures where painted.
I payed 70€ I think and it is certainly worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For all the plays I got out of it, easily worth close to 100. I know alexsr has a copy for trade, send him a GM.

But yeah, unless FFG rereleases it under a new reskinned theme, I can see the price going up to a few hundred in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cwelich
United States
MIDLAND
TX
flag msg tools
Phate999 wrote:

Thank you very much for posting that. Unfortunately seems like two slipped by for $40 before I checked this thread again! Oh well, hopefully some more stuff pops up on there before too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, there is heavy speculation that the new Doom game from FFG will use a lot of Gears of War's mechanics. If that ends up being true, the price on used copies of Gears of War will dip as people turn to the new Doom instead. Same thing happened a few years ago with Dune when Rex was released, and I scored a copy of Dune for like $70.

If the new game doesn't live up to expectations (as Rex famously didn't), well, that window will close and the price of the 'superior' version will go back up, so keep an eye out on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The problem is that Doom is competitive whereas GoW is a co-op team game against AI. I played it again last night and it's a superb game, fast to play and great fun. It's a shame that it didn't continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.