Hide
25 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Do you actually rip up/destroy your cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
asdf asdf
msg tools
Is this game not meant to be replayed or do you just reprint the ripped up cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not meant to be replayed.
I'm obsessive about my game, so I built my own reset kit, but I have to say that playing the full year once is satisfying enough (not to say that some... Uh... Mechanics are completely spoiled to you if you replay them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done two campaigns and there is something satisfying about destroying the cards. That said, I'd love a version that was modular to be replayed again and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is definitely not meant to be replayed. With that being said, there are files out there that provide a reset kit to play the game using the same components a second time. I haven't tried it myself, mostly because it sounds like a lot of effort for an experience that won't be as good.

Anyway, as someone who likes to keep board games in mint condition, I recommend that you rip those cards to your heart's content. The rulebook mentions physically ripping the cards for a reason. There is an emotion tied to that physical act of destroying property. It makes your choices and the events that transpire that much more dramatic. You know that no matter what happens, there is absolutely no going back now. And for a game like Pandemic Legacy, those kinds of emotions are crucial. Of course, everyone is free to play the game as they see fit, but that is my strong opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Every time I had the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Crud
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't get the reset kit people. Destroying the game is half the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case, I have a son who wants to play with his friends
But I agree, destroying the cards and writing on the board feels wonderful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the game told us to destroy the first card, even though I was really excited for the game, I was kind of hesitant and had this feeling of "oh s***, are we really gonna do this?", but then actually doing it does have a great sense of satisfaction in it and after that I was doing it with a great amount of joy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:
When the game told us to destroy the first card, even though I was really excited for the game, I was kind of hesitant and had this feeling of "oh s***, are we really gonna do this?", but then actually doing it does have a great sense of satisfaction in it and after that I was doing it with a great amount of joy.

I've been the opposite - I ripped up the first card and haven't properly destroyed any since. That said, I have folded them past proper use in a deck - I just decided I'd like to have the option to look through them all again at a later point.

I'm undecided how I feel about it - I think maybe there would still be something more dramatic about actually tearing up the cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with my wife and a friend and they looked on in horror the first time I tore up a card. By the end, they were doing it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
nomercyrider wrote:
Anyway, as someone who likes to keep board games in mint condition, I recommend that you rip those cards to your heart's content. The rulebook mentions physically ripping the cards for a reason. There is an emotion tied to that physical act of destroying property. It makes your choices and the events that transpire that much more dramatic. You know that no matter what happens, there is absolutely no going back now. And for a game like Pandemic Legacy, those kinds of emotions are crucial. Of course, everyone is free to play the game as they see fit, but that is my strong opinion

Well said: Destroying the cards is definitely part of the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
commandercrud wrote:
I don't get the reset kit people. Destroying the game is half the fun.

Sure. The first time you do it. Even the second.

By the time I was on my 3rd copy of the game I decided I should probably stop spending $50 every time I wanted to play it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

We tore our cards in half, then put them through a food blender, then burnt them.

Just to be absolutely sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been destroying most of the cards. After the campaign I plan on playing the original pandemic game using the board and components. Therefore, I am not destroying things I think we may use later, like characters and event cards.

However, you can buy a deck of cards from Z-man games or individual cards from http://www.gameshelf.us/brands/Pandemic.html. I plan on buying a few individual cards later that have different rules during the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved destroying components in this game. If anything, I would have preferred to have been able to destroy MORE things because keeping track of the available scars, upgrades, &c. got a bit overwhelming by the end of the game.

Now that we are done I plan to just make a little art project out of the final board state and hang it in my game room. The game itself is not something that I think would be nearly as enjoyable the second time through, as knowledge of the future events would shade a lot of the decisions. I know some people have played it multiple times, but for me, it is not something I would be willing to do again if I was being asked to make ANY decisions: about what character I was playing, what upgrades to take, &c. as many of them can have some effect on the game if you know what is going to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Morelli

Minnesota
msg tools
I find it quite empowering to rip up a game card. I was hesitant with the first. Now I don't even think about it! It's what you get diving into a Legacy game! This is coming from someone who tries to keep games in 'Like New' condition at all costs. Our group has gotten into it by shouting things at the card as it's being destroyed. Makes it easier, LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoffman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game where one has to get comfortable with things getting messy, difficult for many of us I'm sure.

That said, we are only thru Feb but I would argue against being too destructive too quickly. We've made mistakes interpreting rules (or even noticing them) and have had to roll back a few items (labels applied, writing on the cards). Even had one game where we lost when the player deck ran out, then realized a card of the color we needed to win had fallen on the floor and hadn't been in the deck. While you kind of have to roll with minor rules glitches, it would really bum me out to feel like replaying the last game was impacted by having destroyed some component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
gaudium wrote:
This is a game where one has to get comfortable with things getting messy, difficult for many of us I'm sure.

That said, we are only thru Feb but I would argue against being too destructive too quickly. We've made mistakes interpreting rules (or even noticing them) and have had to roll back a few items (labels applied, writing on the cards). Even had one game where we lost when the player deck ran out, then realized a card of the color we needed to win had fallen on the floor and hadn't been in the deck. While you kind of have to roll with minor rules glitches, it would really bum me out to feel like replaying the last game was impacted by having destroyed some component.

Step 1: make game, require people to destroy game after 1 play.
Step 2: sell game for $50+
Step 3: people destroy game.
Step 4: make another game, require people to destroy game after 1 play.
Step 5: sell game for $50+
Wash, rinse, and repeat.

Profit!

(subtle undertone...Legacy is the worst moneygrubbing scam ever invented. pick up a campaign game and don't drink the Kool-Aid...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:

(subtle undertone...Legacy is the worst moneygrubbing scam ever invented. pick up a campaign game and don't drink the Kool-Aid...)

Seriously? That's some incredible hyperbole there. Not just bad, but the worst, huh? Even worse than pyramid schemes and multilevel marketing?

This is an online community of people choosing to spend some of their disposable income on boardgames. So what if some (apparently many) of us enjoy this type of game?

For my $50, three of us got hours of enjoyment out of this game. Tonight, those same people +1 other are going to see a play where each ticket cost $50, and the experience will be over in 2.5 hours.

I suggest you stop worrying about other people's entertainment budgets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:
gaudium wrote:

Step 1: make game, require people to destroy game after 1 play.
Step 2: sell game for $50+
Step 3: people destroy game.
Step 4: make another game, require people to destroy game after 1 play.
Step 5: sell game for $50+
Wash, rinse, and repeat.

Profit!

I disagree. If a game group plays a regular game there's a good chance at least one of those people are going to end up buying the game themselves. If the same group plays a legacy game there's very little chance of them going out and buying the game themselves because they've already completed it. Same goes for people re-buying it to play again - I'm sure there're some people who will do that but most people aren't going to rebuy the same game because once you've done a legacy game there's much less impetus to go through it again.

It's not the disposable nature of Pandemic Legacy that's led to big sales it's the fact that it's really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.allthingsclipart.com/04/kool-aid.05.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
People who've played it know what you're missing. Almost everybody enjoyed it, and almost everybody recognised that it was excellent value for money.

If you don't believe us and don't want to give it a try, that's your choice and your loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
People who've played it know what you're missing. Almost everybody enjoyed it, and almost everybody recognised that it was excellent value for money.

If you don't believe us and don't want to give it a try, that's your choice and your loss.

have played it, but thanks anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jynna Jay
United Kingdom
Selby
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not meant to be replayed but I take no pleasure in destroying things so I just put them in the bottom of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP refuses to use intended materials to make you remember things (i.e. stickers on cards and board) then goes on BGG to complain that the Legacy-aspect changes of the game are too hard to remember.
News at 11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.