Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Time to play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

We've had this game for awhile now, and my wife and I are big fans. Recently we've been playing with a third player, and we've got the setup down to a quick few minutes, and know the rules well enough that we're rarely having to consult the rulebooks. We're considering taking it to our regular games night at the pub, but I'm concerned with playtime; if we play with that group we'll probably have 5-6 players. Any thoughts on how much longer a session lasts with that many people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That depends on 4 things:

1) Amount of content you have for the game

2) Amount of production-value you have for the game (real Sheriff Badges, physical Darkstone, music, themed scents, etc)

3) The ability of your players to focus

4) Random Luck

I don't think I would ever sit down and play a 5-6 player game of Brimstone unless I had 6+ hours free.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do have a fair amount - but not Crazed Kickstarter levels - of content (both base sets, Cynder, Town, 3-4 random monster packs.) Most of that so far hasn't appreciably affected the length of an individual session much - the decks are bigger, and the piles of tiles are larger, but you still only go through so many rooms and/or badguys before you hit the end of a mission. The big exception has been the Town box, which does significantly lengthen the amount of time it takes to do a town visit.

Still, if a 5-6 player game is taking you 6 hours, then expanding the number of players must stretch things out a bit. I suppose that makes sense; more people to take a turn each round, and more monsters on the table to activate, even if your larger number of heroes churns through them at a faster rate.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3-4 hours for an average adventure with 6 players. If you want to go to town add in 1-1.5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
My four-player games have been 2-3 hours long. That's the only data point I can offer, but it is based on 10+ plays at that player count and it's been in that range every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My usual groups (I am playing in 3 currently) are 5 players each and take about 4-5 hours for one town stay and one adventure.

We have made some extras to help speed things up (town booklets for everyone, splitting up who controls cards/map tiles/tokens, etc); but have still found that the town is a major time-suck and moving from 3 players to 5 will add lots of discussion during the adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.