Subject: Hull down rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Why does the deployment phase include this position on the battle board not knowing that combat will be forthcoming?Am I wrong or do,you have to move from the entrance area to another area to kick off the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it determines your tank's roll in the task force battle plan for entering uncontrolled areas, hull down likely being a potential over watch/support role vs lead or part of the moving/staged vanguard. Just my 2 cents.

[To second question, yes. The movement sequence walks through pre-entry options (eg check resistances, fire support, etc.) before you actually move into an area which eat up time or ammo though so its part of your decision load.]

[edits]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, pretty sure the cycle restarts at prepare battle board setup after any actual battle sequence but the entry/exit rolls parts only get redone if you just successfully captured the exit area with time left. Otherwise you keep moving through the movement sequence steps and continue entering new areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the responses..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Munoz
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I think I came here to ask the same question as OP but I want to (possibly) repeat it just so I'm sure I understand.

In the deployment phase you're asked to determine hull down or moving, but the first action you take is to move into another zone, and any subsequent movement by the tank voids that deployment state. So if you're not "moving" in deployment, that immediately gets eliminated as soon as you move into another zone.

So what exactly is the game mechanics purpose of setting deployment positions, if they change almost immediately and before anything else happens? Or do you retain that deployment as you enter the next zone? (And if you do, then what happens if you're deployed as "stopped"? How exactly do you get into the next zone if you're "stopped"?)

Do you retain the deployment you rolled, despite moving into another zone (which would presumably break Stopped or Hull Down), until battle board tank movement in 4.74.1?

If so, what exactly is happening when you move into another zone (since it's apparently not movement)? If not, what is rule 4.41 for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
My understanding is that deployment determines your tank's status at the start of turn 1 the next time you enter combat. This means that if you are hull down you can perhaps be more aggressive (who needs an air strike?) whereas if you are lead tank you may think differently.

Of course your deployment will lose hull down status as soon as you move your tank (if only being lead tank was lost so easily) but by that time it might be too late. As you will be aware ambushes are highly likely and so the enemy will often be acting (and shooting) first.

Hope this answers the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Steve. I think of it as the position of your tank the moment you enter battle. You just happen to have an unrealistic knowledge of this due to the sequence of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.