Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Austintown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb

Imagine waking up every morning with a cup of freshly brewed coffee on your nightstand. Well this new gadget will make your days much easier—especially if you’re not a morning person. The Barisieur, an alarm clock and coffee maker hybrid, is available for preorder through Indiegogo. Created and founded by London-based designer Josh Renouf, the clock was first conceptualized in 2014 and after research and prototyping, Renouf launched a Kickstarter this past May. Now that the team has met their initial fundraising goal, they moved it over to Indiegogo for more funding.

The clock has a sleek, modern design so it’s not an eyesore in your bedroom—choose from a black/walnut or white/ash finish. It can brew coffee or tea and is meant to be a part of your bedtime ritual: Prep the beans or tea leaves in the brewer before you go to bed. You can set a timer so that it brews right before your alarm goes off—then the first thing you reach for after you hit the snooze button will be your cup of coffee or tea. Other smart features include a small drawer for sugar, a vessel to store milk (don’t worry, there’s a cooling component involved), a glass mug, and a USB port to charge your phone or tablet. It’s easy to clean too, since the pieces are dishwasher safe. The design team hopes that with more funding, they can make the alarm clock Bluetooth-activated.

It will retail for $420 once the products are shipped, but if you preorder it on Indiegogo, you can get your own for $299 when it’s expected to ship in September 2017.

(emphasis mine)
I don't get this... why spend $300 plus dollars on a single cup coffee maker when you can spend $20 a coffee pot with a timer?

Can someone explain to me why this is so expensive?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Can someone explain to me why this is so expensive?

Because millennial hipster doofuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. Here's one at $35 instead of $300 or $420. It's smaller, made by a reputable manufacturer (Black+Decker), makes into an included travel mug (which seems like a good idea for a bedroom maker), and it doesn't look like a grade school science fair project. (Clock lower right; image linked to Amazon, and BGG adds an affiliate tag automatically.)

And a lot of ~$20 pot-size coffee makers have a single cup setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
This does seem like hugely overpriced meh.

There'd be a better USP if it was part of an some kind of sleep cycle aware If-this-then-that (IFTTT)-type ecosystem. There are a number of solutions available that (claim to) wake you at the optimum point in your sleep before whatever threshold time you've set, usually based on some combination of sensor pad placed under the mattress and colour-changing bulbs etc. If the coffee maker could be triggered to start brewing at the unpredictable time the alarm started its process, that might be more appealing.

Still wouldn't be worth the current asking price though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really can't imagine it being wise to store food products, like sugar, in your bedroom. Maybe they can kick off their new campaign for a $400+ product to get rid of the ants that will eventually move in. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For $300 you can now spill scolding fluids on your self in bed when you wake up, first thing!

Is the alarm not enough to wake you? Smack this wonderfully brewed fresh pot of coffee; it is guaranteed to get your day off to a roaring start.

No CODs,no checks and no IOUs. Cash or credit. (Slicking back my long greased hair.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaMed wrote:
Is the alarm not enough to wake you? Smack this wonderfully brewed fresh pot of coffee; it is guaranteed to get your day off to a roaring start.

Exactly! I was just thinking how I would burn my hand on the hot plate when I reach for the snooze button...

What would wake me up every time is the smell of diner coffee brewing and sausage patties cooking in the kitchen. (Not at my bedside table!) Put that on an automatic (maybe biological, possibly spousal-ish) timer and I'll be the happiest SOB at work every morning.

Bright-eyed and g*ddammed bushy-tailed. shake

(Can you tell I'm not a morning person? And where's that coffee I ordered?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still looking for the Cocoa Puffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Just ... no.

An old battery powered alarm clock in one place (which seldom goes off as I'm already up), and the one nod to newer tech is a Keurig brewer in the kitchen where it belongs. I become the butler, switching on the Keurig water heating and waking up my wife at her preferred latest possible time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmb
What about a second cup for me?
What about a cup for my wife?
What about having to go to the kitchen to get the milk, and having to wash the precious milk vial before refilling it?
Who is the market for this? Single hipsters living alone, in an apartment that is so large the bedroom is a 1/4 mile walk from the kitchen?

Coffee is waiting for us every morning in sufficient quantities to satisfy up-to 4 people and provide a road cup. It's called a coffee maker with a time brew feature. There are no *milk decanters that need to be cleaned daily and the coffee is stored in the container we bought it in. The kitchen is about 20 steps from my bedside.

*edit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Yet another case of the Hot Dog Toaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Just the thing to go with my bacon alarm clock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.