Subject: Learning the game, or teaching the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been a bit of discussion around the parts about the difference between novice games of MN:E and more experienced ones, with novice players often not being aware of various ways players can quickly win the game.

Some have mentioned the importance of trade strategy and teaching this to the players when teaching the game, and how this can make the games longer and more tense.

However, might not it also be a virtue for new players to see quick wins, and then be excited to play and find out how to get them and counter them themselves? A quick 45 min game that shows these possibilities might make players more eager to play again than a 2-3 hour slog where the win grinds out?

From those who've got their game already, which way or learning and teaching the game do you think makes it the most fun and exciting for new players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

I think it would probably depend on the group of players you have playing the game. I was lucky enough to have the same 5 new-to-the game players for our first two games. So I didn't mind that they ended a little on the early side - because we learned some valuable lessons. It also generated a lot of discussion after the games about how we could have all played the game better.

I also think if you had experience, and most of other players were new, you might also let them learn some of those quicker-ending lessons.

However I can see a situation were you have a mix of experienced and inexperienced players. In this case, the experienced players probably would prefer a "meatier" longer-lasting game - and might be more vocal in trying to not let the less experienced players give away the game to one of their rivals. I think this would be the hardest situation to just sit by and let a game end quickly as a learning game for the new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.