jenifer wehner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi!

I learned how to play Legendary Encounters: Predator at Origins and ended up winning a box! At Gencon, we scored a box of Big Trouble AND Civil War (which we didn't know at the time needed one of the base sets).

Since returning from Gencon, we've bought the base set + Guardians to include with our Civil War purchase. We're looking at picking up Paint the Town Red and Dark City.

We're on the fence about Villains and the Secret Wars expansions.

Wanted to post here asking everyone's opinion and recommendations for what to pick up next!

Also, besides asking which to purchase -- are there Masterminds you guys would recommend a new group start with? Specific Schemes?

Such a fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Villains is a set that you'll get mixed reviews about, either people live it or they hate it. I enjoy it, the big problem people have with it is terminology is changed for some things. So if you don't mind keeping track of which term refers to the term from the Base game, go for it.

Secret Wars on the other hand, in my opinion, is a MUST HAVE. It should be noted that there are 2 volumes to Secret Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
808Games wrote:
Hi!

I learned how to play Legendary Encounters: Predator at Origins and ended up winning a box! At Gencon, we scored a box of Big Trouble AND Civil War (which we didn't know at the time needed one of the base sets).

Since returning from Gencon, we've bought the base set + Guardians to include with our Civil War purchase. We're looking at picking up Paint the Town Red and Dark City.

Wanted to post here asking everyone's opinion and recommendations for what to pick up next!

Also, besides asking which to purchase -- are there Masterminds you guys would recommend a new group start with? Specific Schemes?

Such a fun game!

PTtR and Dark city are both excellent choices. Can't go wrong with either one.

Legendary is very much a cooperative game. Villains on the other hand is more cut throat. Which makes sense thematically. It does happen in Legendary that players can get in each other's way at times, but in Villains that sometimes goes up a few clicks. Just starting out I'd probably stick with Legendary then ease into Villains. If you know someone with it you may want to take a test drive before purchasing. Or just dive right in

The two volumes of Secret Wars are a good get. Lots of new and crazy stuff. The two expansions are based off of a major comic event that ended back in the winter. Not sure if you are into comics, but just wanted to throw that out there. Not everyone is a fan of expansions based off of storylines.

The base game has a suggested first time set up in the rule book. I think it's Red Skull (?). Playing that set up gives you the basic idea of the game in a non grueling sort of way. I'd recommend to just keep it simple and as your first game stick with everything from the base set. Expand from there as you get more comfortable.

Welcome to the forums! The rules page has oodles of answers to inevitable questions. I think you will find the Legendary community to be very helpful. Since you are looking at all of these expansions it may be worth it to search around the forums and look at user storage solutions. Many people sleeve their cards and there are also plenty of threads about that. And when in doubt ask away! Again, welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jenifer wehner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
DrRosenRosen wrote:
808Games wrote:
Hi!

Such a fun game!

Legendary is very much a cooperative game. Villains on the other hand is more cut throat. Which makes sense thematically. It does happen in Legendary that players can get in each other's way at times, but in Villains that sometimes goes up a few clicks. Just starting out I'd probably stick with Legendary then ease into Villains. If you know someone with it you may want to take a test drive before purchasing. Or just dive right in

The two volumes of Secret Wars are a good get. Lots of new and crazy stuff. The two expansions are based off of a major comic event that ended back in the winter. Not sure if you are into comics, but just wanted to throw that out there. Not everyone is a fan of expansions based off of storylines.

The base game has a suggested first time set up in the rule book. I think it's Red Skull (?). Playing that set up gives you the basic idea of the game in a non grueling sort of way. I'd recommend to just keep it simple and as your first game stick with everything from the base set. Expand from there as you get more comfortable.

Welcome to the forums! The rules page has oodles of answers to inevitable questions. I think you will find the Legendary community to be very helpful. Since you are looking at all of these expansions it may be worth it to search around the forums and look at user storage solutions. Many people sleeve their cards and there are also plenty of threads about that. And when in doubt ask away! Again, welcome aboard!

Thanks for the awesome reply!

We're huge Dominion players, and have sleeved all expansions of that with Mayday's premium sleeves. We decided to go with Dragonshields for Legendary (more durable in our opinion). So far, everything is sleeved and ready to go!

For storage, we actually really like the divider set up UD has going with their expansions using the split box design. We think Dark City is the same dimensions as Civil War was, so those two boxes + foam should hold us over okay for now. We really like a lot of what Broken Token has to offer, but haven't pulled the trigger on any of their cool stuff.

Big comic readers here too, and while we're big fans of (both) Secret Wars the contents of the set (Heroes and Masterminds) seem a bit...to be desired. Just not a lot of our favorite characters involved.

Thanks for all the info - will definitely keep checking the forums here on a regular basis now that we're diving right into the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tulis
msg tools
mb
also if it wasn't clear, definitely get dark city if you enjoy the game.

secret wars is cool, and adds a ton of content, but youre right - lots of iterations of characters, not many "classics" (though i love doctor strange in general). dark city, civil war, and gotg would be my must-buys if you enjoy the basic game (probably in that order, too... or maybe civil war first, since i'm more an avengers guy than x-men).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
808Games wrote:
DrRosenRosen wrote:
808Games wrote:
Hi!

Such a fun game!

Thanks for the awesome reply!

We're huge Dominion players, and have sleeved all expansions of that with Mayday's premium sleeves. We decided to go with Dragonshields for Legendary (more durable in our opinion). So far, everything is sleeved and ready to go!

For storage, we actually really like the divider set up UD has going with their expansions using the split box design. We think Dark City is the same dimensions as Civil War was, so those two boxes + foam should hold us over okay for now. We really like a lot of what Broken Token has to offer, but haven't pulled the trigger on any of their cool stuff.

Big comic readers here too, and while we're big fans of (both) Secret Wars the contents of the set (Heroes and Masterminds) seem a bit...to be desired. Just not a lot of our favorite characters involved.

Thanks for all the info - will definitely keep checking the forums here on a regular basis now that we're diving right into the game

Since you read comics then Dark City is a must. I'm biased though because it's still my favorite expansion to date. The mix of heroes you get is super.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
It all really depends on what you want out of the game. If you want games that feels very different with wonky schemes and flavourful masterminds that cause massive pain in different and flavourful ways the secret wars expansions are a must have as they have many interesting schemes that really affects how the game is played.

If you want recognizeable characters though those boxes are the least satisfying and I would go with either boxes around the fandom you like, or if you are a generalist Dark City.

If you want an easy time to get used to the game though I recommend playing the game without any expansions at first as the base game is ridiculously easy while still having some depth.

And if you want PvP focus the villains expansions are right up your alley, or Secret Wars if you would fancy being the Mastermind against a group of players (NOT RECOMMENDED WITH NEWBIE HERO PLAYERS, difficulty ramps up A LOT).

There are pros and cons with all the boxes, and it is up to you to decide what you want out of the game. Personally I want EVERYTHING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Look at a list of all the cards in each expansion, and decide which characters you like the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Look at a list of all the cards in each expansion, and decide which characters you like the best.

I'll just leave this here.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1243890/complete-card-text-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you end up teaching the game to many different people like I have, you may want to swap out Red Skull for Doctor Doom or Magneto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jenifer wehner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Awesome info, much appreciated!

Is there one expansion that is 'universally hated' and I should avoid at all costs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
808Games wrote:

Is there one expansion that is 'universally hated' and I should avoid at all costs?

No. They're all good. People's opinions on their relative merit will differ but I don't hate any of them so therefore none of them are 'universally hated'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
808Games wrote:

Not that I know of, personally. I think that's because so many people have so many varying tastes and the Marvel Universe has lots of options to suit every taste.

There are a couple of sets that are a bit divisive amongst at least us BGG fans, but I don't think there is a "universally hated" set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
808Games wrote:

The latest expansion during the preview season and until people have gotten it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
My favorite are the big box sets. For new players, I would recommend Dark City before any other set. I love secret wars too. My Villains, including the Fear Itself, sit and collect dust, but I guess that just my groups personal preference.

Really every set has plus and minuses, but my favorite is still Dark City. Good for new players too because it adds new concepts without being too crazy, and gives it a significant difficulty boost, the core masterminds are just too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
I myself just started playing Legendary a few months ago. So far I have bought Dark City Paint the town red and secret wars vol 2. I would say Dark City is the one to go to first as it doubles the heroes, and the masterminds are great and more challenging. PtTR is a must if you are a Spider-Man fan. Secret wars is also good but many obscure heroes and masterminds. The next set I will be purchasing will be guardians of the galaxy because you can play the infinity gauntlet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.