BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Tactical Wargame combat dice mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Laffy Taffy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Battlelore seemed to use units to measure hp (at least for archer's and foot soldier's, not sure how harder monsters worked, must just be DV). So I thought, maybe I could do the same with a game I have been working on.

Basic Mechanic is when a unit attacks another unit (units are grouped into groups of up to 5 units per group which goes against an opposing group). Each unit has Movement (MV), Attack Value (AV), and Defensive Value (DV).

I would sum each groups MV, and if defending player's MV > attacking players MV, they got 2 counter-attacks, else 1.

For the attacking group (this point on, I'll refer to group as army). They attack using one unit against one unit of the opposing army and roll a 3d6 + AV vs DV +10.5 (average die roll of 3d6). If they score above this #, they hit. Then I kept track of HP for that round of combat.

New Idea:

Instead of having HP, I could count the group size as a pool of points that could be added to AV (attack value) or DV (defensive value) during combat. If a unit is lost, unused pool goes down for each unit lost. In this way, I'm borrowing the idea of group size representing HP, but instead of HP, it turns into spendable points that can be used to boost attacks or defensive values beyond the normal.

In this case, a hit equals a kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some feedback on the Memoir 44 and Battlelore mechanics from me:
I do like the simplicity of having units represent some sort of HP, but it feels weird when a single figure unit have the same firepower as a full strength four figure unit.

There are some other Command & colors implementations that improves this (Napoleon one).

So for me it's good to have a relation between the damage level and the capability of the unit. If a unit has a base value of 2, then allowing you to add up to 4 bonus points to that would be really nice.

Note: For harder monsters they simply had less hit symbols on the die. For Memoir 44 you had Infantry, 4 Figures, 50/50 on the die, Armor had 3 figures but 33/67 on the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.