Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I finally convinced my wife to sit down and play with me using the single player rules to control two factions on the same side. "I want to play the Indians because I want to build villages," she said, so I was the British.

As both a teaching game and the first time playing with Bot Patriot players, it was slow going for even a quick scenario. With two campaign things got tough during the second campaign - but in the end support was 9 points in the lead, the Indians had a 3 point village lead, and the British were 3 points behind in inflicting casualties. This was a 6 point victory margin, leading the Indian/British faction with a victory (if I understand the solo rules right).

Although it took a loooooong time to go through everything, in the end she enjoyed it. She dislikes having other players destroy her stuff that she built up, so wargames are a no go for her - but she really enjoyed it when we work together against the AI bots and talk out moves like we do with cooperative games like Pandemic or Lengends of Andor.

I'm not sure how well the other COIN titles would work out cooperatively, but this one is almost perfect with a shared primary goal. Can't wait to break this one out again with her (even if the AI adds a bit of play time), but I think I might try out Falling Sky or Cuba Libre next. Still, Liberty or Death has become my favorite of the series so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that approach!

For Falling Sky, you could play the Romans and Aedui as a team in a similar way, using the solitaire rules and the victory rules for a single player playing a pair of Factions (use the worse of the two victory margins to judge performance against the individual bots; 1.5.1 combined with 8.9).

Although the teams are less explicit than in LoD, the Romans and Aedui have strong overlapping interests in keeping the other Factions' Tribes down. A challenge for a solitaire team, then, would be to do so while also engineering the balance between how much of Gaul is subdued in total (Rome's interest) and how big the Aedui get compared to the other Gauls, Romans, and Germans (the Aedui's interest).

In terms of moving parts, the Romans are a bit more intense--and need to do more outright fighting than the Aedui--if that helps in deciding which of you takes which role.

I hope you get a chance to try that out!
Cheers! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.