28.8% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I have played a lot of LOTR but grown somewhat tired of the investment and have it up for possible trade. There are two things that look as though they could potentially resurrect my interest and this Adventure Pack is one of them.
If I understand correctly, this is a stand alone kind of expansion that acts as a dungeon delve. Sort of a side path, if you will. I like this.
That's the long way around for me to simply ask, are there other AP's like this? Or perhaps, do we know if something similar might follow in time?

Wilson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the quests try to do something slightly different than anything before it, so there isn't much else like this one. There are other quests with branching paths and some quests with loot items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Donkler wrote:
Most of the quests try to do something slightly different than anything before it, so there isn't much else like this one. There are other quests with branching paths and some quests with loot items.

Thanks!
Do these quests require more than the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:
Donkler wrote:

Thanks!
Do these quests require more than the base game?

I would say that The Ruins of Belegost requires more than just the base game if you want a chance at beating it. It's probably one of the hardest non-nightmare quests that has been released for the game. and you will want a big card pool to stand a chance.

What do you have in your collection currently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a full card pool and have never beaten Ruins after around 5 attempts. I can get pretty far, but something always wears me down.

It's an extremely difficult quest!

(But amazingly fun)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Those are both very helpful bits of insight. Thanks.
My card pool was once great, but now is extremely diminished.
I've only 2 AP's with my base game now. Given your remarks, I seriously doubt I've enough firepower left.
In addition to that, fun as this AP sounds, the very last thing I want from this game is more of a beating cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think it's just kind of the nature of the beast that if you are not keeping up with the LCG, the newer quests are just not going to be feasible. The only suggestion I could make with your limited card pool would be maybe looking into Escape from Mount Gram. It is not too difficult and has kind of a neat progression where you start out with only one hero and gradually rescue your allies as you progress through the dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i look at things a little differently in that if the basic premise of a quest is excellent such as in Belegost (artwork, theme, enjoyment, monsters) but the rules are a little too severely hard to solo with one deck rather than multiplay, then i simply amend a rule slightly to better fit a solo game. This way i can still enjoy the quest and artwork without discarding it as unplayable. Clearly this is not a purist view but the paid designers of this game seem to focus far more on multiplay experience and high difficulty. It is shame not to use certain scenarios just because they dont quite work for certain card pools or solo decks. I would personally prefer to tweak a rule on a quest card than ditch some encounter cards such as you do in easy mode.

As an example, Belegost has a Stalking the Ruins card which spawns the dragon after 3 counters are placed on it and continues to add more counters until you get to a new quest. Trouble is with one player the dragon may well hang around on a killing spree with the same player when he would normally be shared around a 2-4 player group. So i tweak this rule to use Stalking the Ruins as a time counter which spawns the dragon for one round only, he then returns to the water out of play and the counters reset to zero. He will return when 3 more counters are placed. Think of this as the creature swimming around underwater and leaping out to a surprise attack before retreating again but only for a short while. If i do this i maintain the thematic feel that was originally intended by the rule but soften the impact to a level that a multiplay game might experience instead. I can now play this still tough scenario solo - as long as not too many hazards come come out.

Ultimately i would prefer to play a tweaked excellent and engaging quest than an easier but not very engaging quest that is still playable solo or with a basic card pool, but you have to be creative and understand what the original design was trying to achieve to tweak the rule fairly. It wont always work, but sometimes a solution can be clear.

Finally in terms of similar quests, i would say that Temple of the Deceived and Drowned Ruins from the latest cycle may have a similar searching and adventuring feel but i have not got them myself yet - they are on my next to get list - but you will need to get Grey Havens deluxe box first. Escape from Mount Gram and Treachery of Rhudaur from the Angmar Cycle may work out well too theme wise but they need Lost Realms deluxe box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.