6,615 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks, sorry about the slight duplicate of threads. I got some good feedback from the last thread and figured I would make a new one more specific since I found my last thread somewhat vague.

I am looking for:

A fantasy tabletop skirmish game that would be fun to play and somewhat balanced as possible.

Also something that would lend itself well to playing on printed maps for terrain (I just don't have space for 3D terrain).

Totally prefer playing scenarios that are objective based vs just slug fests

Leaning towards the following list would appreciate advice!

-Frostgrave (little worried that it is not balanced and swingy from what I have read may put off my newer players)
-Magic: Arean of the planes walkers (I know this is the new heroscape and seems like it may be fun? I know it has tiles but at least it seems portable for the sake of 3D Terrain).
Dragon Rampant (another entry from Osprey seems fun but perhaps too generic?)
Advanced Songs of Blades and Heroes (I played SBH way back when so interested in hearing what people think of this version of the game, also not sure how it plays on printed maps that are more tight quarters along the lines of Frostgrave)

BGG to best responses thanks so much for your time guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if you hang on for the new DOOM: The Board Game which is kinda based on the Star Wars: Imperial Assault system... I know I've printed mats for skirmish maps for IA, so don't see why it can't be done for Doom also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Take a look at the new two player battle boxes being put out by Privateer Press for their popular mini games (Hordes and Warmachine). It's just about everything you need to play in a box.

fantasy
printed maps
scenario based
skirmish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG will be coming out with a Runewars miniatures game.

Ask this question on the Dakka forums. Feel free to be more specific as to what you like and don't like, so others can give you better ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Sam and Max wrote:

Ask this question on the Dakka forums. Feel free to be more specific as to what you like and don't like, so others can give you better ideas.

This one! The Runewars minis game will also have objectives that differ a lot from your typical "kill the other army" objective. I'm eagerly awaiting this one, but it's not due out until early 2017

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

This one! The Runewars minis game will also have objectives that differ a lot from your typical "kill the other army" objective. I'm eagerly awaiting this one, but it's not due out until early 2017

I'm a little worrie about the scale though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Take a look at Guild Ball. It doesn't hit all your requirements, but god damn it's a fun miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this cool request it triggered a chat with my old local miniature war gaming group.
They suggested Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish Game which I found on BGG.!!
They have played the game on dwarven forge scenery which has square grids for movement and it worked very well.
Bare in mind I used to play Warhammer Skirmish/ Mordheim: City of the Damned and THW Warrior Heroes: Armies & Adventures with them before I drifted over to boardgames.
For the record the kids are older so I'm going to get this aswell.

Good luck in your search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi McBryde
United States
Neosho
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, I know this doesn't really match your criteria, but if you don't mind sort of a co-op skirmish and can stomach a different theme, Project: ELITE is an excellent game.

It really gives you the feeling of struggling to maintain your ground while trying to complete the mission. The game is very well balanced and includes mechanisms to increase the difficulty if you find the balance shifting too much in your favor.

It is not fantasy, however, with a re-skin it very easily could be. You would need to print new cards, get new minis and create a new map. Actually, I hadn't thought about that until now. I think I may need to start working on that idea myself. It would add a new flavor to one of my favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently you are (still) looking for my game:

W&S is a small scale miniature game (small as in down to 1 miniature per player!) that has been balanced through countless playtests.
The rules are free and technically you don't even have to use 3D terrain, but you may use printed maps as well.
Since you mention "tight quarters": W&S has been designed especially for tight quarter skirmishes. You are in no way supposed to use big maps!

Even though there are the generic "slug fest" szenarios (a.k.a. deathmatch), you have more tactical szenarios such as capture the flag, bombing run or king of the hill.
(Heck, you even to duke out get a snowball fight, if you want to ...)

So, if you want it, come an get it, along with the battle book "unstable harmony", which is a capture the flag map for 2 or 4 teams.

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.