26% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Best Fantasy Skirmish Minatiure game on printed maps for me! - Geek Gold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks, sorry about the slight duplicate of threads. I got some good feedback from the last thread and figured I would make a new one more specific since I found my last thread somewhat vague.

I am looking for:

A fantasy tabletop skirmish game that would be fun to play and somewhat balanced as possible.

Also something that would lend itself well to playing on printed maps for terrain (I just don't have space for 3D terrain).

Totally prefer playing scenarios that are objective based vs just slug fests

Leaning towards the following list would appreciate advice!

-Frostgrave (little worried that it is not balanced and swingy from what I have read may put off my newer players)
-Magic: Arean of the planes walkers (I know this is the new heroscape and seems like it may be fun? I know it has tiles but at least it seems portable for the sake of 3D Terrain).
-Dragon Rampant (another entry from Osprey seems fun but perhaps too generic?)
-Advanced Songs of Blades and Heroes (I played SBH way back when so interested in hearing what people think of this version of the game, also not sure how it plays on printed maps that are more tight quarters along the lines of Frostgrave)

BGG to best responses thanks so much for your time guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Magic:AOTPW from your list, and it's pretty good. Cheap as chips and now that there are 2 main boxes and a couple of expansions there's a bit of meat on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think most players in this forum play minis games, and fewer still will be playing fantasy skirmish games. You might get better feedback from minis-specific sites.

That said, from the list I've only played Song of Blades & Heroes, and the best thing I can say about it is that you can use any figures you want. But...that's it. I don't find it particularly fun. I don't find the gameplay deep or engaging.

Have you looked at Malifaux? You need a 3ft x 3ft map for it, but terrain can be 2D as long as you mark the Height of whatever terrain it is, since all measurement is conducted from a bird's eye view (meaning there's no measurement of height, even on 3d terrain). The fact that there's an official Vassal mod is proof enough that it can be played with 2d Terrain.

Anyway, it hits all your high points: fantasy (though it takes place in the 1800s ish, it is still very much fantasy), the 2d map thing I mentioned, and it is very objective based (forcing your opponent to spend his actions removing your figures so that you can win is a valid strategy).

There's a lot of other great things about it, too, but I suppose if you're interested you'll ask or look into it yourself. Just my $.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Battleground of course - the box comes with 2D terrain and all the units are 2D top-down view cards as well. On top of that, it's a fine quick-playing game system and has a dozen or so special race expansions to keep it fresh - and even has a historical (Punic War) version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed Frostgrave and the swinginess of combat is just part of the old school appeal.

It does, however, REALLY require a full table of terrain, cover, and even multi level ruins.

The newest expansion book Frostgrave: Into the Breeding Pits presents dungeon rules, though, and all of that could easily be played on game mats only.

The nice part about Frostgrave is that you can use whatever minis you want and if you hate it, then use them for something different.

Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish Game is another game that is supposed to be really good, though I haven't played it. Made by the people at Otherworld Minis and they are amazing figures.

Even a starter set here --- http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/otherworld-skirmish-r...

BattleLore (Second Edition) is also what I would call a skirmish game, as the armies are very small. It uses a game board and tiles for terrain.

Dragon Rampart is sort of for larger battles, like reusing a Warhammer army or something. It's ok but I found it rather dull.

Song of Blades and Heroes is always nice, and you could use same minis as other games yet again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D and D miniatures covers all the bases for me. Might be a litle pricy for some of the rare figures.
It sure is a fun game though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter OHara
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frostgrave.. I can see your point about maybe it being a little unbalanced, and some of that is in the nature of the choice of Wizards. Some are just more lethal and useful in game terms than others. With that said, Frostgrave has the virtue of being one of the funnest miniatures games I've played in recent memory. Very tactical, very retro, and lots of back and forth. I can't recommend it highly enough.

W.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hotspur wrote:
Frostgrave.. I can see your point about maybe it being a little unbalanced, and some of that is in the nature of the choice of Wizards. Some are just more lethal and useful in game terms than others. With that said, Frostgrave has the virtue of being one of the funnest miniatures games I've played in recent memory. Very tactical, very retro, and lots of back and forth. I can't recommend it highly enough.

W.

I am all about having fun, i was really inspired by marcowargamers video review on frostgrave ESPECIALLY when he busted out the printed maps... its like a lightbulb went off in my head!!

So you're having a lot of fun with it? Seems like there is a lot of content for it including campaign and even co-op eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Drange
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malifaux is the only miniature game I am familiar with, so no idea how it compares with the others. Just wanted to mention that I enjoy it and that height is handled in a top-down manner just as is common for wargame maps. Characters and terrain has height stats and height LOS rules instead of players actually checking vertical line of sight.

I own a suitable playing mat I bought from here: http://www.deepcutstudio.com/

So far I have placed 3D terrain pieces on the mat, but when I read this thread it occured to me I could just as well print "top-down" terrain graphics and glue that to architect foam for nice, "extruded 2D" terrain pieces instead. Lots of terrain pieces for a modular board, but still storable in a small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Classic Battletech: Tech Manual or Axis & Allies Miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
Advanced Songs of Blades and Heroes (I played SBH way back when so interested in hearing what people think of this version of the game, also not sure how it plays on printed maps that are more tight quarters along the lines of Frostgrave)

I really like the simplicity and flexibility of this one. I think the changes to the "advanced" rules did a lot to help rationalize gameplay, giving it a better, more "believable" feel while still retaining all the elements that made the original so much fun to play. Haven't tried Frostgrave, so I can't explicitly comment on how ASoB&H compares with regards to any issue with "tight quarters," but I never felt there was a problem with either the old or new/advanced version of SoB&H in smaller settings (in fact, I think it tends to do better in smaller scenario-based play than larger "open field" engagements).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Boze wrote:
Advanced Songs of Blades and Heroes (I played SBH way back when so interested in hearing what people think of this version of the game, also not sure how it plays on printed maps that are more tight quarters along the lines of Frostgrave)

I really like the simplicity and flexibility of this one. I think the changes to the "advanced" rules did a lot to help rationalize gameplay, giving it a better, more "believable" feel while still retaining all the elements that made the original so much fun to play. Haven't tried Frostgrave, so I can't explicitly comment on how ASoB&H compares with regards to any issue with "tight quarters," but I never felt there was a problem with either the old or new/advanced version of SoB&H in smaller settings (in fact, I think it tends to do better in smaller scenario-based play than larger "open field" engagements).

Is advanced compatible with all the other previous sbh.supplements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter OHara
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:

I am all about having fun, i was really inspired by marcowargamers video review on frostgrave ESPECIALLY when he busted out the printed maps... its like a lightbulb went off in my head!!

So you're having a lot of fun with it? Seems like there is a lot of content for it including campaign and even co-op eh?

I play pretty frequently, and ran it for a gaming camp I run for kids in August. They loved it.

I use a mix of terrain pieces from here and there:

A little thin but I'm expanding it as I go.

The mat is the "Metroscape" from CIGAR BOX BATTLE MATS and it was pretty much created to do Frostgrave with. I love it, it's perfect for Frostgrave.

My figures are mostly the Northstar Official line, plus some additions from the BONES line.

The game scales to multiplayer very easily and moves very fast. A small game of 2 players can be done in an hour or so, multiple players about 3 or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recommendation for D&D Miniatures. Lots (and lots and lots) of printed maps in a large variety of settings and lots of customizable board pieces. Huge variety of pre-painted miniatures, and you can get a large number of commons fairly cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hotspur wrote:
Boze wrote:

I play pretty frequently, and ran it for a gaming camp I run for kids in August. They loved it.

I use a mix of terrain pieces from here and there:

A little thin but I'm expanding it as I go.

The mat is the "Metroscape" from CIGAR BOX BATTLE MATS and it was pretty much created to do Frostgrave with. I love it, it's perfect for Frostgrave.

My figures are mostly the Northstar Official line, plus some additions from the BONES line.

The game scales to multiplayer very easily and moves very fast. A small game of 2 players can be done in an hour or so, multiple players about 3 or less.

Cool. I just need to find some maps I can print off now to try it out.

Probably should just give it a try me.thinks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that you can play Frostgrave entirely in dungeons with the Breeding Pits book.

Super easy to do that in 2d.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Remember that you can play Frostgrave entirely in dungeons with the Breeding Pits book.

I just need to find the right maps to get! Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If you like the scale of Frostgrave but want more balanced combat check out Relicblade. I've been very happy with how close the games are...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

I just need to find the right maps to get! Help?

Well, if you want tons of dungeons super cheap, the best way is to pick up several of the dungeon tile sets that Wizards of the Coast made for D&D 4th ed. You can find them cheap at online game stores, ebay, etc.

These are nice because they are thick, come in a good box and can be moved around to make tons of dungeons. The also work for any ruleset you want.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Tiles-Master-Set-Essential/dp...

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Tiles-Master-Set-Wilderness/d...

Dig around online and find the best price for you.

There are alternatives just google dungeon tiles.

You can also buy printed mats of a single dungeon, but I think tiles are the best choice by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mermuse wrote:
If you like the scale of Frostgrave but want more balanced combat check out Relicblade. I've been very happy with how close the games are...

Frostgrave is really well supported and has a large player base. That's why I would recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also....

This forum is all about minis gaming, in any period you can imagine.

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php

They also have the semi official Frostgrave forum, where the designer posts frequently and answers rules questions.

Lots of painted mini examples, rule variants, and scenery tips there.

Here is a direct link to that sub-forum

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?board=92.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THanks so much everyone for the help. What a great idea on dungeon tiles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are very welcome.

Remember that with most of the rules mentioned here, you can use your tiles and minis, so experiment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
Is advanced (SoB&H) compatible with all the other previous SoB&H supplements?

Yes and no. Some of the changes have rendered various elements of the supplements obsolete, but it's a fairly simple matter to "house rule" most of the stuff back into full compatibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.