$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 98.43

6,268 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.5% of Goal | left

Support:

There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: The question has been answered below and the answer is yes: income spaces can be covered as long as all of the requirements are filled simultaneously, even if it requires placing multiple tiles at once.

Rephrasing the rules a bit, there are two requirements you must meet before you are allowed to cover an income space:

1) All of the spaces in the column below it and all of the spaces in the row to the left of it must be covered.
2) The previous income space must be covered.
(combined these mean the square to the lower left must be filled entirely, which is what the rules as written state)

These conditions are "weak" in that you can cover an income space with a tile as long as that tile fulfills the conditions at the same time -- an example in the rulebook shows the 1st through 3rd income spaces being covered all at once with a single 3x3 tile.

My question is, can you use multiple tiles for the same effect as long as they are all placed at the same time? Or in other words, can tiles be placed truly simultaneously or strictly one at a time?

Here is an example:

Both of the moves below are illegal by themselves.
(2-Green tile violates condition 1)

(Hammer violates condition 2)

But if I place both tiles simultaneously you get what looks like a perfectly legal board. This is only possible if you actually can place tiles simultaneously; if you have to place them one at a time then this cannot occur.

This is an awfully contrived situation but I know someone in my group will try it and then complain when I explain its illegal.

Edit: And I know those green tiles are placed illegally due to the adjacency rule, I just grabbed the tile pictures from the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anything in the rules that indicates that tiles can be placed simultaneously?

EDIT: Frank Heeren, further down, has confirmed you can place tiles simultaneously!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
"Any time" is vague enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Baker
Canada
Taber
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would allow it. Of course - this is coming from someone who has yet to touch the game so take it with a grain of salt - but it seems to be consistent with the spirit of the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would lean towards that direction too, simply because teaching the opposite sounds like a huge pain in the ass, but I'm not hopeful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd lean toward not allowing simultaneous placement. My regular group has some pretty AP prone members and I can see people hoarding tiles and spending many minutes trying to place them exactly to maximize income/score. Much easier to just subtly encourage people to place tiles as they go; the tile placing is already going to be a problem as far as turn time goes. It's also an easier rule to enforce/police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:
It's also an easier rule to enforce/police.

This I don't see. If it is allowed, then I can easily tell at a glance if your board is legal. If it is not allowed then, like in my last example, you have to check each tile to make sure it followed the rules at the time it was placed because the finished placement looks legal at a glance.

And from the player's perspective it's clearly more difficult to unintentionally break the rules if the rules are less restrictive in the first place. You place all of your tiles down simultaneously and you check after the fact if they are legal.

From an AP perspective, more restrictive rules only reduce AP if they are so restrictive that they cause someone to just give up and stop thinking about it ("This is too hard to think about, so I'll figure it out as I go"). If they still try to puzzle out the best way to place their goods / what goods to gather in the first place then making that puzzle easier can only reduce thinking time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points. I still think I'd lean toward no though; I know my group. The rules maybe leave it open on purpose so it can be house-ruled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Bellemare
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGG!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In his runthrough, I am pretty sure that Miwi was placing them one at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Takezo Qc wrote:
In his runthrough, I am pretty sure that Miwi was placing them one at a time.

Well, in practice you are always placing the tiles one at a time, it's just whether each placement counts as a distinct board state for the placement rules that matters.

I can't see any reason for not allowing simultaneous placement - it's much more clear that if you can produce a legal configuration at the end of your placement, it should be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
I can't see any reason for not allowing simultaneous placement - it's much more clear that if you can produce a legal configuration at the end of your placement, it should be allowed.
This, lest the games would considerably slow down as everyone monitors each other to check their temporary board states. Banning some official interpretation, I'd play it that the final board state is what matters, and that intermediary positions all occur simultaneously, even though in practice we have to place the pieces one by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumit K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fyi green tiles cannot be placed next to each other

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gain wrote:
Fyi green tiles cannot be placed next to each other

Quote:
Edit: And I know those green tiles are placed illegally due to the adjacency rule, I just grabbed the tile pictures from the rulebook.

He knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Is there anything in the rules that indicates that tiles can be placed simultaneously?

I agree with this. If the rules doesn't tell anything about this it's because it's not possible. The rules put a lot of examples and any of them doesn't show this type of placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
Can tiles be placed truly simultaneously or strictly one at a time?

Tiles can be placed truly simultaneously!
Often you are collecting your tiles during a round and start puzzling them all at once on your home board just before the income phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
golden_cow2 wrote:
Can tiles be placed truly simultaneously or strictly one at a time?

Tiles can be placed truly simultaneously!
Often you are collecting your tiles during a round and start puzzling them all at once on your home board just before the income phase.

Thanks for the official clarification. I would've assumed otherwise based on the arguments above, but I think allowing simultaneous placement will be more fun. Nice to know that I will be able to play that way (someday cry) without feeling like I'm house-ruling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Fjeld
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I even start placing tiles during the round (especially blue) because that way I can see more easily what I need to get to improve my income, get bonuses or otherwise to counteract holes or difficult configurations.

Being able to tile simultaneouslt felt like the right way to keep the game flowing - it's even better that we have an official ruling on the matter to keep it that way! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.