Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules suggest very strongly that you don't jump in with Germany boards AND coal for your first play. For experienced gamers, do you feel you can use it all? I'm trying this for the first time this weekend (after just a few base RR plays) and I'm trying to decide whether to include coal or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Include everything but coal. Personally, I do not like much the coal part. It doesnt add much to the fun/gameplay of the game but add more cluster on the table. It removes a game turn, so in my opinion, it reduce my fun to play this game by one turn. The rest of the expansion is amazing and you can go right away with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
rockhpi wrote:
For experienced gamers, do you feel you can use it all?

Everyone who has an avatar on BGG is considered an experienced gamer and should start with all modules in.

But jokes aside, why not? It's definitely not the most complicated of all games. Hey, even I did it and I have not encountered any problems. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rockhpi wrote:
The rules suggest very strongly that you don't jump in with Germany boards AND coal for your first play. For experienced gamers, do you feel you can use it all? I'm trying this for the first time this weekend (after just a few base RR plays) and I'm trying to decide whether to include coal or not.
Hey Erin,

For what is worth, I've been using both modules since day #1. I've even introduced all modules + the base game to experienced players and it was no issue. For me the coal part is the fun aspect of the expansion as it eliminates the scripted engineer/money openings. Taking a strong foundry as a first player is a very reasonable move. It doesn't add much complexity in my opinion, barring some industry megaturns, which though shouldn't occur more than once or twice in the game. Yes, it eliminates a whole round, but more may be accomplished in a single round now. It's doable to get the first "?" bonus on round #1 now.

I can definitely see though that having even more options could be intimidating to some people. Nevertheless, adding Coal won't add more complexity to the game than the one offered by the base game alone. If players can handle the base game, they won't have a serious issue in adapting to the coal module as well. Learning 1-2 more rules is cakewalk compared to teaching the "?" tokens to new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.