Subject: How can you tell deluxe from regular? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I recently discovered this game at a local game cafe. I noticed the owner had it for sale as well. I came here looking for more info and saw there was a regular and a deluxe version.

How can you tell by looking at the box? From the images on here they look to be the same. The box this guy is selling is about the same size as the smaller expansions for Descent 2e from fantasy flight games. Is the deluxe box bigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deluxe:

Regular:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The "regular" (original) version hasn't been produced by FFG for many years. The current (2013) version incorporates all of the game mechanisms of the large-format deluxe version, although in a smaller package like the one you describe. The current edition features this box art:

The original edition looked like this:

Edit: Ah, ninjaed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so the one he is selling is the one that's in the top pic. He has the one in the bottom pic on his game shelf for the public.

So you're saying that one in the top pic is the deluxe version? I'm going to try and get it from him then. SOunds like a cool game. I have lord of the rings stratego but stratego isn't as intriguing as a game as I thought. Maybe I'll see if he will do a trade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
Two versions use the same picture and are nearly identical. Check the writing under the word "Confrontation" near the bottom.

If it says "Deluxe Edition" then you are getting the deluxe edition from 2005.

If it says "A Game of Strategy and Cunning for 2 Players" then you are getting the 2nd edition from 2013.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok. I think he is selling the regular edition then. So no extras i guess.

Nvm i just looked in the other thread and saw that the currwnt printing has all the extra characters and stuff. Ill try and pick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So you have, in chronological order:

1) Original. No extra characters with small, rectangular stands along longer side.
2) Deluxe. Extra characters with bigger rectangular stands along shorter side, and huge box.
3) Current. Kept extra characters, made the stands square and smaller, but had to remove the text from them (either you learn them or use the summary sheet).

I think the format of the original is the best one (compact with text), so I home-made the extra characters in order to fit that format...

EDIT/ Some pictures (of my custom board too!):

And the files with my characters are available here, though only in Spanish and French...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend was saying that too. I dont mind looking at summary sheets. Crap im so used to it with most of the other games i play my memory isnt as good as it used to be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very helpful!

So, do people here feel it's worth hunting down a copy of the 'deluxe' edition, or are both equally nice items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I gather, the deluxe version is just... bigger at this point, right? (compared to the current edition with all of the "extras" that used to be a part of the deluxe edition) Bigger board, bigger cards.

Anything else different about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
2) Deluxe. Extra characters with bigger rectangular stands along shorter side, and huge box.
3) Current. Kept extra characters, made the stands square and smaller, but had to remove the text from them (either you learn them or use the summary sheet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the large deluxe edition and love it. The text on the pieces makes it easier to teach new players and it just looks impressive when set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.