Subject: HELP! what do i need to play overlord?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
so confused.

i have the base game and i bought the overlord expansion and now it says i need another base game but then someone said something about Battle maps that i could print out or buy.

i have no clue and i was wanting to play overlord come labor day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
bakerid2000 wrote:
so confused.

i have the base game and i bought the overlord expansion and now it says i need another base game but then someone said something about Battle maps that i could print out or buy.

You will need another base game if you want the most scenarios for Overlord.

There are a few battlemaps that are preprinted, but some (most?) are out of print.

This Geeklist has most of the information you need
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Peoble
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakerid2000 wrote:
so confused.

You have the basics of what you need with the base game and the Overlord expansion. This will give you enough units, cards, and dice to play Overlord.

Now you just need a map upon which to play. Overlord scenarios require two boards side-by-side. There are three options to do this:

1) Get another base game. Now you will have two boards you can put together and you can play the Overlord scenario mentioned in the base game rule book (plus a lot of other ones you can find on DoW's website)

2) Buy the Winter / Desert board. This, combined with your base game, will give you two boards. They will be mismatched terrain types but aside from aesthetics, this doesn't matter.

3) Buy one of the pre-printed Battle Maps. This is the easiest way to play Overlord. DoW has made several paper Battle Maps that are pre-printed with the scenario laydown. No setting up terrain required! You just laydown the map, setup your units, and go! Unfortunately, most of these are now out of print. You can still easily find the Memoir '44: Sword of Stalingrad Battle Map at most stores though. If you do pickup this Battle Map, you might want to grab the Memoir '44: Eastern Front also so that you have the Russian troops. It isn't required though.

Hope that helps! Overlord can be a lot of fun with the right group. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt Days of Wonder has made getting into expansions of this game difficult. It is easy if you stick with the base game, it is also easy if you buy EVERYTHING. But if you just want one more thing, you'll find that it almost always requires one other expansion.

I'm sure this was a choice that marketing made to encourage completing the set. Trust me, it works. The frustrating part is when something you want is no longer available.

You may find that just buying the winter/desert board leaves you short on some terrain tiles when setting up a scenario. Probably less frustrating to buy a 2nd base set. I have all the maps, but I got lucky there and bought them all for MSRP or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going by option 2: the winter/desert board

If you also get the terrain pack you will have mostly all you need to build overlord maps.

Here I combined a desert board with a beach board to make an Overlord scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this same problem...confusion.

So say I have 2 base games, a couple expansions including the Winter Wars and the Winter Desert boards. Can I play Overlord scenarios without the Overlord expansion? I assume that the only thing is the cards, but how necessary would they be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play OL without the OL expansion, just using two decks and the original Overlord rules. However, it is, of course, much less intuitive and efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.