Subject: Retheme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Rosenberg, though more of his esrlier works. This one just seems like a missed opportunity. I should have been America!:the board game.

You get stuff, you try to trade up to bigger stuff, you try to arrange your growing mountain of stuff in big piles to score points. Every once in a while people stop by and you have to have the right stuff to impress them. You can even get yourself *more space* to keep your stuff. What do you do with the stuff? Nothing! But you better have a lot of it. Just imsgine goods being replaced with big screen tvs (six per house!) Kitchen appliances, stuff off the home shopping network, old dvd collections, and out of style clothes! The wierdly shaped special pieces can be ikea furniture. The extra islands storeage units, and the boats unaul trailers.

Just a little tongue in cheek mini-rant. I'm really hoping I can try this and am impressed more when I do, right now it just looks a hot mess and that is sad (even watched miwi's runthrough)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game would not appeal to me, I'm afraid. To be frank, I know little more about the game than:
- Uwe
- Vikings
- Sth Patchwork-esque
so perhaps I ought to be worried. But then again: UWE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Williams
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I'm a fan of Rosenberg, though more of his esrlier works. This one just seems like a missed opportunity. I should have been America!:the board game.

You get stuff, you try to trade up to bigger stuff, you try to arrange your growing mountain of stuff in big piles to score points. Every once in a while people stop by and you have to have the right stuff to impress them. You can even get yourself *more space* to keep your stuff. What do you do with the stuff? Nothing! But you better have a lot of it. Just imsgine goods being replaced with big screen tvs (six per house!) Kitchen appliances, stuff off the home shopping network, old dvd collections, and out of style clothes! The wierdly shaped special pieces can be ikea furniture. The extra islands storeage units, and the boats unaul trailers.

Just a little tongue in cheek mini-rant. I'm really hoping I can try this and am impressed more when I do, right now it just looks a hot mess and that is sad (even watched miwi's runthrough)

You just described most resource gathering games... Maybe you should try a different genre?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GammaGoblinz wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

You just described most resource gathering games... Maybe you should try a different genre?

I enjoy resource games, but there is generally a bit more conversion/utilization, at least thematically. The whole 'put piece in pile to get x' is less enjoyable than building farmyards, shipping goods on your boats, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Shadrach wrote:
Just imsgine goods being replaced with big screen tvs (six per house!) Kitchen appliances, stuff off the home shopping network, old dvd collections, and out of style clothes!

Board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the main mechanisms seems to be the gridded action selection, whereby more workers equals a more powerful action(s). Watching MiWi's video I thought this was pretty interesting. I think while the action selection board looks interesting and thematic, it's too busy and makes the many choices even more intimidating and less organized.

The spatial puzzle of filling up your grid and balancing that with meeting the requirements for the round (feast) also intrigued and excited me. These two mechanisms seem to set it apart for me.

This one also feels like a step even further for Uwe into having so many actions that the tension at the core of worker placement seems very light but I've only watched one video. I'm wondering how this can be tightened up with fewer players.

The resource replenishment was overly complicated (several boards that need to be replaced and refilled throughout the game).

Curious to see more videos and opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree, not seeing the similarities. This one looks unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maybe hitting a bit close to home on a forum that is home to compulsive collectors

Your idea reminds me of the Raving Rabbids game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.