Subject: Play duration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cason
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
I am not sure if this was already in the forums or not....

I am looking to possibly get this game for wife and I, but most games we play are in the 60 min range.

I know the box says 115 min for playtime. I was wondering how long two player games typically take. Games over 90 minutes don't get taken out that often and with the high price point, I don't want to waste money and cabinet space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first play was 60 minutes for a learning game. Successive plays after that float around 45 minutes. The overlapping turns are lightning quick at 2 player, unless you have AP issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The average length of all 311 two-player playtests of Scythe was 97 minutes.

Having played Scythe as much as I have, that seems long to me (I've played 3-player games in 45 minutes), so I think it depends on the types of gamers you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play frequently and have a tendency to take our time with it -- reading encounter cards, not doing the overlapping turns, etc. I'd be surprised if we ever took more than ninety minutes at this point and an hour is probably our average. I say go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J0 Hu
msg tools
My SO and I have been playing Scythe for a bit now (3 times) and we both enjoy it.
The first play through took us 2 evenings. But that's kind of expected with double checking rules every second turn (we are beginners when it comes to more complex games).

The other two plays took between 90 and 120 minutes. But both of us tend to consider our next move quite carefully.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two player games have gotten down to around 45 minutes to an hour including set-up after about 15+ plays. This is with narrating all of the actions and thinking things through on a few of the later turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Essner
France
Nissa
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last 3 players game was around 75 mn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first 2-player game last weekend. Both of us had played 5-10 times previously at higher player counts so we were familiar with rules and the general course of play. We were neither rushing, nor obsessively AP'ing, just going at a comfortable pace. Not counting setup and cleanup, the game itself took 60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say budget 30-45 minutes for each player who has played fewer than 3 times, 20-30 minutes for a player that has played 3 or more times. An extra 10 minutes if there is at least one player who has never played before, for both the initial rules assessment and the inevitable pauses during the game for clarifications.

(Where each player falls within that band, of course, is a function of their tendency towards AP, how much of their downtime they spend figuring out their next move, how often they get up to go to the bathroom just before it's their turn, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our last 4 players games took 70 min and 90 min whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S0laris wrote:
Our last 4 players games took 70 min and 90 min :whistle:
And budgets aren't always exact. Your point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with my husband a couple of weeks ago, took us just over an hour. It was my 2nd time playing, his first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game on Weds. Four players, one notoriously AP-prone (the amusing thing is, he doesn't recognise it in himself, but whenever anyone else takes even a few seconds to take their move, he's pointing and shouting "aha! You're every bit as bad as you accuse me of being". We need chess clocks).

Our AP-prone friend saw the side of the box and scoffed at the time estimate. Especially for a first game. We went WAY over.

By a whole 7 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game just naturally flows with overlapping turns in our games, even with new players, they are on board and moving things along very quickly. We are sometimes surprised at how short our games are since the turns move so quickly you feel busy but not overwhelmed only to discover its been just a little more than an hour or so and the game is over.

*edited for grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Dexposure.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
played 4 player game the other night, lasted 113 minutes. All four of us played before, one person was still not getting all the rules and had a bit of AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4-player game yesterday.
Only one player (me) had played before. We took it fairly easy (quite a few questions here and there) and still managed to take only about 120 minutes. Should easily be able to get down to 90 with more experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played our first game (3 players), which took like 3 and a half hours. Excluding tutorial and game setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and have played twice and both times it has taken us about 100 minutes not including a break because 60 minutes is her limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing it weekly (and recently bi-weekly) with 5 players almost every time. Most games have included 1 or 2 newbies, whom I explain the rules to prior to game-time at 8pm sharp. The games with newbies tend to take 3 hours. The games with no newbies tend to take 2.5 hours, but we're always tired and brain-dead when we play (it's after work for everyone here at a remote wilderness lodge where we have little down time).

I think with no newbies, our well-rested crew could play it easily in 2 hours, especially if we focus on taking our turns while the previous player does their bottom-row action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four players, three with one or two games under their belts, ninety minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howlsthunder wrote:
I've been playing it weekly (and recently bi-weekly) with 5 players almost every time. Most games have included 1 or 2 newbies, whom I explain the rules to prior to game-time at 8pm sharp. The games with newbies tend to take 3 hours. The games with no newbies tend to take 2.5 hours, but we're always tired and brain-dead when we play (it's after work for everyone here at a remote wilderness lodge where we have little down time).

I think with no newbies, our well-rested crew could play it easily in 2 hours, especially if we focus on taking our turns while the previous player does their bottom-row action.

Last night we played with a friend who is a long-time gamer from Germany (member of gaming clubs, plays weekly - including one NEW game every. single. week.) and she totally schooled us. Most of my modern gaming exposure has been from within my own group - little to no exposure from long time connoisseurs. It was eye-opening to see an expert play.

Long story short, I realized why our play times have been so long: it's because we are all hesitant to put out all our workers due to the cost associated with having them all out. I now clearly see the folly of this, since my friend ended up raking in the benefits immediately. The game was MUCH faster, too.

One of the many things I love about gaming - always something to learn.

(Edit for grammar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.