Subject: Capital Clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Carter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Capital card places the special white city tile on the board (the text refers to it as a CITY TILE), and and the end of the game the card scores 1 VP per adjacent ocean tile.

Questions:
- Do I put my player cube on this tile?
- Does it score 1 VP per adjacent greenery tile at the end of the game?
- Does it count as "owning" a tile for the landlord award?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Reuter
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
- You put your player token on every tile except ocean tiles. The capital tile (like all special tiles) has a square on its back to put your token in.

- Yes, its a city tile after all.

- Yes, because you put your token on it. You cannot own oceans but all the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Carter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Carsten. I don't know why I didn't notice the little squares on the back sides of the special tiles. Perhaps because the pictures of the tiles on the corresponding cards show the other side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zachcarter wrote:
Thanks Carsten. I don't know why I didn't notice the little squares on the back sides of the special tiles. Perhaps because the pictures of the tiles on the corresponding cards show the other side.
Yep, I missed this too so I wasn't sure how to score those. I kept them icon-side up without realizing that they were also city tiles on the back side. So what then is the difference between the special tiles and the city tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Reuter
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
All the special tiles are reserved for their corresponding project card. On the card the special tile is shown with their icon side for faster selection.
I do it this way: at game set-up I put all special tiles with their icon sides up next to the board. Whoever plays the matching card can easily pick his tile, turn it over, and place it with the back side.

In the case of the capital its important to remember that this is a normal city AND more, because the capital grants the owner 1 VP per adjacant Ocean tile at game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DerDiplomat wrote:
In the case of the capital its important to remember that this is a normal city AND more, because the capital grants the owner 1 VP per adjacant Ocean tile at game end.
I get that part, but re: the special tiles, nothing is really mentioned about the importance (or not) of placing those. Other than possibly being able to break a placement rule, is there any other difference from a "regular" city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Reuter
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I understand you.

Only the special tile "Capital" is also a city tile. The other brown special tiles are not cities.

You still place special tiles because:
They help you in achieving the award for being landlord (you own them).
They block one hex for other uses.
They may trigger a placement bonus on selected hexes.
They grant you 2M€ instantly per adjacent ocean tile.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DerDiplomat wrote:
I am not sure I understand you.

Only the special tile "Capital" is also a city tile. The other brown special tiles are not cities.

You still place special tiles because:
They help you in achieving the award for being landlord (you own them).
They block one hex for other uses.
They may trigger a placement bonus on selected hexes.
They grant you 2M€ instantly per adjacent ocean tile.

Hope that helps.
Yes, that clears it up for me, thank you. When I flipped a special tile, it looked very much like a city tile on quick glance (now that I look at all of them some have very different graphics from a city tile!), so I thought that was something that I just missed in the rules. So they act like greenery tiles. Thank you so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.
Special tiles are tiles completely without function or special rules (except Capital counts as a city). They are not cities, oceans or greeneries. They do not have any special placement restrictions, they do not give VPs, Terraform Rating or other bonuses. Only placement bonuses for where you place them.
Their special rules (if any) are specified on the card that placed them.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Carter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
Nope.
Special tiles are tiles completely without function or special rules (except Capital counts as a city). They are not cities, oceans or greeneries. They do not have any special placement restrictions, they do not give VPs, Terraform Rating or other bonuses. Only placement bonuses for where you place them.

Cheers!

Thank you Jacob. You didn't specifically mention the Landlord award in your reply. Can you verify that the special tiles do count as "owned" for purposes of the Landlord award?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
zachcarter wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Nope.

Cheers!

Thank you Jacob. You didn't specifically mention the Landlord award in your reply. Can you verify that the special tiles do count as "owned" for purposes of the Landlord award?

Yes, you own your special tiles, as indicated on page 5 in the rules, and by the square marker space on the tile. So they do count for Landlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Imershein
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fryxen wrote:
Nope.

Cheers!

I assume that unless the card specifically says to place the special tile on a blue ocean "reserved" space (e.g. Mohole), then the special tile must be placed on a "non-blue" space, and never on a reserved city space?

Or can some special tiles truly go "anywhere", including blocking blue ocean spaces or city spaces like Noctis City or Phobos? (in which case those city cards could never be played in this game, correct?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chreotho wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Nope.

Cheers!

I assume that unless the card specifically says to place the special tile on a blue ocean "reserved" space (e.g. Mohole), then the special tile must be placed on a "non-blue" space, and never on a reserved city space?

Or can some special tiles truly go "anywhere", including blocking blue ocean spaces or city spaces like Noctis City or Phobos? (in which case those city cards could never be played in this game, correct?)

Correct. Reserved areas are reserved, unless a card specifically states it can go there. There is no card that places a tile 'anywhere'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason the tiles are important, is because of the greenery placement rule. e.g. If your first tile is a mining tile, and your second tile is a greenery, you're now forced to place that greenery next to the mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.