Support:

Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds like a reasonable, intelligent guy...too bad he's not in my district:

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/openly-gay-congressio...

(On a separate note: NBC feels the need to have a standalone reporting outlet--"NBC Out"--for LGBT issues? I had no idea...will have to see if the other mainstream news outlets have done the same.)

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Interesting cat. Wonder how much of a chance he has in Conn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
will have to see if the other mainstream news outlets have done the same.)

Why would they cater to such a small demographic ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
jeremycobert wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
will have to see if the other mainstream news outlets have done the same.)

Why would they cater to such a small demographic ?

There's this idea that gay people have more money on average than the broader population. It's wrong, but we're talking about TV news people and IT guys. Not exactly Mensa.

Plus, if you have a special place for homosexuals or Hispanics or pregnant women, the theory is you drive more traffic to the site.

It would be nice if these "news" organizations spent as much time actually producing news stories and images instead of dicking around with the web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ferretman wrote:
Sounds like a reasonable, intelligent guy...too bad he's not in my district:

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/openly-gay-congressio...

(On a separate note: NBC feels the need to have a standalone reporting outlet--"NBC Out"--for LGBT issues? I had no idea...will have to see if the other mainstream news outlets have done the same.)

Talk about a doomed candidate!

Even if he were to win, he'd be marginalized, hazed, and eventually driven out of the Republican Party like Steve Gunderson was 20 years ago back in 1996. After all, for the most part, Gunderson only had to deal with folks who were just homophobic and anti-gay back then. (As far as I know, he didn't have any colleagues who were confirmed Dominionists back then -- but I could be wrong.)

> Excerpt from the August 9, 1996 Reuter News story:

Gay Wisconsin Congressman Charges GOP Leadeship Of Homophobic Threats To Run Him Out Of Office

U.S. Rep. Steve Gunderson

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Reuter) -- U.S. Representative Steve Gunderson said on Friday he decided against running for re-election after Republican leaders warned him off because of his homosexuality.

Gunderson, who has served eight terms from Wisconsin, told an ABC televsion interviewer House of Representatives Speaker Newt Gingrich told him some members of the Republican Party leadership objected because Gunderson was in line to become chairman of the House Agriculture Committee.

"There are a number of people in our party's leadership and in the party who don't want an openly-gay person to be chairman of a major committee because it somehow legitimizes homosexuality," Gunderson quoted Gingrich as saying.

Asked if his recent decision not to run for re-election was connected to his sexual orientation, Gunderson said, "Unfortunately, yes."

He said Gingrich summoned him and delivered the warning two weeks ago: "Steve, I just want you to know that if you run, the conservatives are going to run a major independent expenditure against you," he quoted Gingrich as saying.

Gunderson had announced he was going to retire several months ago but began exploring the possibility of a campaign again after the death of Representative Bill Emerson of Missouri put him in line to head the agriculture panel if Republicans retain control in the next Congress. The current chairman, Kansas Republican Pat Roberts, is running for the Senate.

Gunderson said he was a personal friend of Gingrich but the friendship was tempered by some of Gingrich's political positions.

The U.S. House of Representatives last month passed a bill that would bar same-sex marriages and prevent people in lesbian and gay partnerships from getting financial and other benefits they would have if they were legally married.

"I was struck by how alienated I felt from my colleagues when they espoused some of the really hateful prejudicial rhetoric," Gunderson said of the debate on the bill.

Gunderson appeared on ABC with his partner of 13 years, Rob Morris, to promote a book they wrote about non-traditional families called "House and Home."

> Excerpt from the August 8, 1996 Associated Press news story by Sharon Theimer:

Gay Congressman Appeals For GOP Tolerance At Venue Outside Republican Convention

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The Republican Party should be more tolerant and should have included homosexuals in its national convention, a gay Republican Congressman says....

"This party is going to have to deal with the gay and lesbian issues because family after family is being touched by it," Gunderson said in anvinterview before the speech. "We can't just write off all that element of America."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Not zero, but it's an uphill battle. The 5th has gone Republican before, but it leans Dem. We used to elect moderate Republicans in CT but the state has moved left over the past two decades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Surely his sexual orientation will help him a little bit, right? And in the one interview offered here, he does come off as being more reasonable than a foaming-at-the-mouth Tea Partier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

damiangerous wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Not zero, but it's an uphill battle. The 5th has gone Republican before, but it leans Dem. We used to elect moderate Republicans in CT but the state has moved left over the past two decades.

Correction: As southern states' Republicans came to dominate the Republican Party in Congress and moved the GOP agenda to the far right, Connecticut Republican candidates couldn't get elected by advocating for that right-wing agenda. As a result, moderate Republicans became more unelectable as the Republican Party became more immoderate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

remorseless1 wrote:
Surely his sexual orientation will help him a little bit, right? And in the one interview offered here, he does come off as being more reasonable than a foaming-at-the-mouth Tea Partier.

Well, if the Republican Party is looking for a gay token member, who knows, he might well pass muster. *However*, I wouldn't bet on it.

> Excerpts from the August 26, 2016 Right Wing Watch news story by Brian Tashman entitled:

Jim Garlow Declares: "We Must Educate Donald Trump On The Threat Of The LGBTQ Radical Agenda"

Jim Garlow

American Family Radio host Sandy Rios aired an interview today that she conducted recently with California-based pastor Jim Garlow about the New York meeting Garlow attended with Donald Trump and hundreds of the country’s most prominent Religious Right leaders.

Garlow said that while Trump addressed the purported attacks on religious freedom in America at the meeting, “I was on a panel right after he left and I said someone will need to help him connect the dots between religious liberty — what’s causing it, overwhelmingly, is the LGBTQ radical agenda that’s pressed upon us.”

“The radical homosexual agenda,” Garlow went on to say, is “at the epicenter of most of the loss of our religious liberty at our present time.”

“The potential for the silencing, punishing, and shutting out of Christians in the public square is just imminent,” Sandy Rios warned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Since 2006, Democrats, first Chris Murphy of Cheshire, who is now in the U.S. Senate, and then Esty, have been able to win the five largest cities in the Fifth District – Waterbury, New Britain, Danbury, Meriden and Torrington, by a combined 15,000 votes or more.

He would need to do well in the cities listed to win. His best chances are probably in New Britain and Meriden. I don't see him winning in Waterbury or Danbury though. I could be wrong. He sounds more levelheaded than most Trump supporters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Since 2006, Democrats, first Chris Murphy of Cheshire, who is now in the U.S. Senate, and then Esty, have been able to win the five largest cities in the Fifth District – Waterbury, New Britain, Danbury, Meriden and Torrington, by a combined 15,000 votes or more.

He would need to do well in the cities listed to win. His best chances are probably in New Britain and Meriden. I don't see him winning in Waterbury or Danbury though. I could be wrong. He sounds more levelheaded than most Trump supporters.

Set the bar any lower and you will need a shovel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.