Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Mitchell
England
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I linked through to the site via this IP which appeared on a google search. Initially I couldn't log in so got suspicious then looked up the IP. I then checked it out on an IP info site and it showed some dodgy Russian domain name. https://www.virustotal.com/en/ip-address/72.233.16.130/infor...

Is this some kind of spoof address trying to get our passwords or have I totally got it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
72.233.16.130 is the IP you get when doing a ping, so I expect that the address is correct. I know that BGG changed their security policy about a year ago so that it requires a secure connection to log in. Its possible that the security certificate will not work when browsing by IP. Just a guess though as I'm really not very knowledgeable about how security protocols work.

I'm kind of curious to know why you need to browse by IP in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That IP geolocates to Texas and New Jersey, depending on which search service you use, but, they all agree that it is owned by Datapipe, a managed hosting service, with a data center and headquarters in New Jersey.

So, Texas would make since, since BGG is there. New Jersey makes sense, since Datapipe is there.

When I browse by IP to 72.233.16.130, I hit BGG. And 72.233.16.130/article/23546472 brings me to this thread.

Perhaps something in the international connection caused the weird information? Datapipe does have datacenters in multiple countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you recheck the OP, notice he said he couldn't log in. 72.233.16.130 certainly gets you to BGG, but when I go there in Chrome, I am not logged in (check the upper left corner). If I try to log in, it takes me back to the homepage, but the login window is still empty. Similarly, if I type in https://72.233.16.130 I get a security warning. This is why I wonder if the certification is keyed to the domain name and not the IP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
I am likely off base, but there is or used to be a numerical domain name set up by Aldus Magnus intended to allow BGG access at work, at workplaces that automatically block anything with "game" in the name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.