Subject: ROF,Plus other questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Really trying my best to understand and correctly apply rules but I about to throw up my hands and surrender to General Rules.. I am really forward looking to fully play this game and would like to continue slogging my way through but am losing patience and questioning my level of intelligence.
1)ROF..do not understand the meaning relating to yhe tables ..truly frustrating..I understand its importance...so,after all modifications...if I am even understanding those correctly,i.e.,target in woods ...subtract 5 from the roll,right?
Is there an example out there that simply explains how to attain ROF?
US control counters..as I understand it,put one in each sector where enemy is destroyed....ok,when sector is cleared do you gain control of the entire area? It states that it remains under US control until an enemy moves back in....how does the enemy do that??
Any other info you might be kind enough to pass along will be appreciated...
I am really busting my hump trying to understand PB...no war gaming community here to,reach out to and you guys are my thin life line between comprehension or insanity...
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if I understand your question correctly,

ROF, rate of fire - there is a base rating of 30 or less for a 75mm gun, subtract the loader, and gunner rating from your to-hit d100. if it's 30 or less you may fire again. Similarly the 76mm is 20 or less for a second (or 3rd) shot.

You may be mixing up the use of the control counters, On the Battle board, control markers represent supporting elements that protect your tank from enemy placement; you begin with sectors 1,2,&3 under control and placement of enemy is restricted to sectors (4&5), (6,7&8), and (9&10). As the battle progresses you only may gain friendly control by way of the 'friendly advance' result on the event table. The Germans may eliminate control with an 'enemy advance' event OR by moving into an already controlled sector.

If an enemy unit begins a turn at long range in sectors 1, 2 or 3, and then moves further away it is removed from the battle board and placed on the strategic board IN THE AREA YOU MOST RECENTLY MOVED FROM.

I think that's right, hope it helps, fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks ..
I will re-try to master this and with the help u provided,I am certain things will become clearer....i am assuming you put sectors 1,2 and 3 under US control for every new area you enter....Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
correct, as stated in the sequence of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Paul....
Thanks a ton....now to clarify ....is 1D rolled to get ROF results? 2D to hit target....did notvfind any reference ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the original to hit D100 is the only roll that is checked for ROF. no additional roll is required. Also modified -10 if round is taken from the ready rack, or by the Asst. Driver rating if he is passing the ammo instead.

good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Paul...know I am bring a PIA...BUT.

If I am rolling 2D10...and subtract my gunners and loaders rating (9) plus 10 if from ready rack...19 total..I would have to roll a 49 pr less ??
Then adding the other modifiers to the to hit target chart,buttoned up...vs 88,50 or75 guns,it almost seems insurmountable...did I do this correctly?
And what about acquiring target? Did I miss the rules explanation on that as wel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Scott
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtract the skill ratings from your roll, not from the target score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
sudasana wrote:
Subtract the skill ratings from your roll, not from the target score.

Gregory..
So,is my math correct as related to the ROF chart?....forgetting all about the modifiers in the to hit target chart?
Just wanted to thank all for your patience and understanding in helping to provide me the necessary info to forge ahead and master(or at least have a good understanding )of the rules Rules....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Scott
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! The rulebook is very terse and unclear in many places.

Section 9.41 in the rulebook states that the RoF modifiers affect only the RoF result. So you make your d100 to-hit roll, work out whether you hit or not, and then use the same original roll with separate modifiers to determine if you maintained RoF. One roll, but two results with two different sets of modifiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
sudasana wrote:
No problem! The rulebook is very terse and unclear in many places.

Section 9.41 in the rulebook states that the RoF modifiers affect only the RoF result. So you make your d100 to-hit roll, work out whether you hit or not, and then use the same original roll with separate modifiers to determine if you maintained RoF. One roll, but two results with two different sets of modifiers.

Gregory.
This makes it more understandable..to say the rulebook is unclear,is akin to ur wife telling you she's "just a little bit pregnant!"
Thanks for helping a senior with piss-poor comprehension skills..BTW,my uncle was assigned to a tank destroyer during WW2..assigned to Pattons army..hence,my attachment ..
Thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The To Hit and ROF are two separate sets of modifiers.

- Roll to see what your hit result is on the To Hit Target using that tables modifiers for result.

- Then take that rolled number and apply it the ROF table with only its modifiers and see if you keep ROF (yes 49 or less in your example).

The Sherman had good ROF.

[Sorry posted before seeing other response]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarification, you keep shooting before resolving any hit kill effects (you don't know if the first was enough)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Appreciate everything y'all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another 2 cents input for you, the tough targets can be taken out by your task force friends (I just assume they have the bigger guns needed). Your goal is to not become its target until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
ncree wrote:
Another 2 cents input for you, the tough targets can be taken out by your task force friends (I just assume they have the bigger guns needed). Your goal is to not become its target until then.

Hell Gary...given the choice...I wouldn't want to become a target at all!
Smoke..smoke and more smoke when necessary....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the early Sherman's were for HE targets primarily, pick those buggers off but be careful with ATGs too. It will all come to you and at some point routine in campaigns until one day a surprise wakes you up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Scott
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ncree wrote:

Agreed - let your allied tank destroyers (modeled very abstractly as 'Friendly Forces') do the anti-armour work. Unless you want to try out the Firefly, that is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Scott
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ncree wrote:
Remember the early Sherman's were for HE targets primarily, pick those buggers off but be careful with ATGs too. It will all come to you and at some point routine in campaigns until one day a surprise wakes you up!

If I remember correctly, early American tank doctrine was to use them as a mobile anti-infantry strike force, while tank destroyers would be used for anti-armour. That changed pretty quickly after D-Day, however. I've also read that Canadians used their TDs mostly in a defensive role as mechanized, armoured AT guns, rather than as part of a mobile attack force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
You guys ever see the uniform that Patton designed for tankers? Impractical,yes,but sharp as hell....would look great in a parade,but IMO,would most definitely fail the combat-dress test.I believe,after WW1,and into early WW2,the tank was a kind of step child tactics-wise..no one,in the US military,could figure out best to use it...it was a hard lesson learned until we finally adapted a doctrine other than "more tanks than theirs" should win..which of course ,proved to be a huge falsehood..
BTW,I am still in boot camp...playing along while trying to digest the rules..no sure how combat works using the task force in a sector...any help will be appreciated..
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, task forces enter areas and the BB has sectors. Might mess with you as you read rules if not clear. The table modifiers and notes also contain a lot of info for developing your tactics.

For map, generally you want to march towards your exit, choose the faster and lower resistance area paths. Generally use some advance fire moving in the area if able to support ammo/time and artillery for those higher resistance areas.

For battles spot the heck out of the units as soon as possible (commander unbuttoned is best I think). Take out the targets that are low threat and make a call on those border line ones which coul return lethal fire (ooh, a rear on a PzV dare I trust my ROF?).

Just my memory faded 2 cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in the battle your task force is represented by the friendly fire table. You don't have to do anything but manage your tank and trust in some help from those table rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
ncree wrote:
Also, in the battle your task force is represented by the friendly fire table. You don't have to do anything but manage your tank and trust in some help from those table rolls.

Okay...do I roll for the task force friendly fire every turn?or just to resolve the advancing fire segment when entering the sector?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hodges69 wrote:
ncree wrote:

Okay...do I roll for the task force friendly fire every turn?or just to resolve the advancing fire segment when entering the sector?
Thanks

Follow the rules sequence (Sec 4.0), FF support is only part of the battle sequence (4.7). Generally:

-Day starts with briefing and plans actions (4.2, 4.3).

-Prep the BB.(4.4)

-Follow the movement sequence steps with your task force on the map (4.5). In it there is a point to determine if a battle occurs from your move to a new "AREA" (4.54.5.c). If so, you then follow the battle sequence using the battle board (4.6, 4.7).

-At the end of your movement into an area and resolving battles if it occurred, it sends you back in the movement sequence 4.53 (or further back to 4.4 re-prep BB first if a battle happened) for the next area move attempt IF it is not the end of day (daylight runs out)(4.54.5d).

-At end of day (4.8) you will wrap up and go back to a new day start briefing.

- Rinse and repeat until Patton is drinking with Russians.

Everything else is really details of how to execute in each phase.

Hope I got the right references.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Patton is not going to drink with any Russian son-of-a-bitch!
I really appreciate the help I have been given,but,succinctly,do I roll for FF after each turn..or am I completely missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.