Hide
9 Posts

Federation Commander: Klingon Border» Forums » General

Subject: Funny thing about licenses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Brown
msg tools
Funny thing came up today. In the past couples months, ADB has been justifying Steve Cole's changes to 3rd party products on the grounds that their license demands it. They say any deviation outside their license could have Paramount on their butts in no time flat.

And then, on the ADB Facebook page we see them sharing this bit of art.

https://www.facebook.com/231728653279/photos/a.297889983279....

An Andorian Heavy Cruiser, which looks a lot like a certain other Andorian ship from ST:Enterprise:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Andorian_battle_cruiser

Wow didn't know ADB had the license to make and share blatant derivatives of ships from Star Trek Enterprise and even attribute them to the same faction. Makes all the nonsense about license restrictions sound a little a funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without having ANY knowledge of the license I am not sure you have proven anything except that you are unhappy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you know (or maybe not):

1) That's fan art, by me, not something they've used in any product

2) The Andorian ship in Enterprise looks quite a bit different from basically any angle but that one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
If it's Fan Art, it's another thing. Still odd that they'd be sharing it when they clamp down on anything posted on their boards for license reasons. For example a guy who wanted to post links to his Federation Commander tutorial videos on youtube was told that he couldn't until they vetted them. He eventually just didn't bother. Way to reward hard work of your fans.

The only major difference is the elongated bow, the wings are very derivative of the official artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And downside of working off 2d art is that the design intent being considerably different is not shown. Breaking it down by layers, the Andorian ship I intended to be based of their counter art - with that center body being basically built on top of a trimaran-like bottom.

Can sort of get a sense of what I was going for - starting from the counters ADB has been using for the Andorians (since LONG before 'Enterprise' came out)...

...and how I was building it up from the bottom up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Sexton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
As Xander has already pointed out, the ship is based off ADB's counters and SSD outlines which predate ST: Enterprise. (Our book was copyrighted in 2000; Enterprise didn't air until 2001.)

So no, there is no copyright infringement or license violation on ADB's part. Suggestions that it has are completely incorrect.

Jean Sexton
Marketing Director
Amarillo Design Bureau, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Akalabeth wrote:
If it's Fan Art, it's another thing. Still odd that they'd be sharing it when they clamp down on anything posted on their boards for license reasons. For example a guy who wanted to post links to his Federation Commander tutorial videos on youtube was told that he couldn't until they vetted them. He eventually just didn't bother. Way to reward hard work of your fans.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with their approval process. Just got to communicate with them as you go, it's pretty painless, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I miss something? Are Andorian ships coming to Federation Commander? If so, yay! I like more ships. If not, this seems like a very odd place to lodge your complaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
While the basic shape bears similarity to the original counter, it seems pretty apparent that you have drawn upon details from the Enterprise design. Including the wing tips, using longer nacelles which extend past the wings as well as some of the central details like the oval command area in the middle of the fuselage, and the inset wide grooves on the front of the nacelles. The colour is also quite similar.

And that's cool, I like your design dude. It seems like a nice blend between the original counter and the Enterprise artwork. I'm just surprised that ADB is sharing it on FB given how many similarities it has to the ST:ENT Andorian.

SeanXor wrote:
Did I miss something? Are Andorian ships coming to Federation Commander? If so, yay! I like more ships. If not, this seems like a very odd place to lodge your complaint.

I was helping to champion Early Years products for FedCom on their forums but ADB hasn't done anything yet that I'm aware of, citing lack of interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.