$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
38.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I recently happily received the "100 Heroes Foil Pack" from my KS of Obliveon. Fanatic is one of my favorites, so I sorted through the pile of cards to check her out. One version of her seemed more than a trifle OP, an impression I confirmed by playing a game with her.

Her native power in this version is (SPOILERS FOR HERO PACK):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Fanatic deals a target 1 radiant damage. Until the end of your next turn, all damage done by Fanatic is dealt to this target.

Yikes! She has a bunch cards that deal damage to other heroes or herself as part of their cost to keep in play. The way I read this power, she deals the damage but it gets redirected to the new target. So "Embolden", which lets a hero use an extra power at the cost of 2 damage turns into "Do 2 damage to your designated target and let someone use a power". Her power where she can give herself 5 damage to do 5 damage to an enemy turns into "Do five damage to an enemy", etc.

We played a game with her and in short order I was cranking out 8 points of damage every turn.

My question is: are we playing this correctly and she is just a fun OP hero for tougher opponents, or did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you played it correctly to me, assuming you're quoting the power correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how it sounds like it's supposed to work. The biggest one it combos with is Sacrosanct Martyr. The rest of them are going to be one shots of damage since if the target isn't dealt the damage it isn't going to stay in play. Embolden reads:

At the end of that Hero's turn, Fanatic may deal them 2 Radiant Damage. If they take no Damage this way, destroy this card.

Meaning if it's redirected to the other target, said hero won't take the damage and therefore Embolden will go out of play.

So, it is a pretty darn good combo, since it's a freebie 5 damage if Sacrosanct Martyr. But beyond that the other cards turn into one shots basically(al-be-it good ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Notice that embolden goes away if Fanatic doesn't take damage and that she still has to use that power every second turn. Not sure how exactly you had it set up, but deal 1 damage, deal 5 damage isn't that obscene for two turns worth of powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that a lot of Fanatic's ongoings have requirements that the target specified by the card actually takes damage from the card's effect, though. It's not 'Deal damage to villain instead and keep card in play', it's 'get benefit of card once, then at the start of the next turn punch the villain and destroy this card'.

Also, under normal circumstances, using Kill the Spirit with Sacrosanct Martyr will result in Kill the Spirit's redirection ability wearing off for the following round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind for Embolden, Divine Focus, and Chastise, the intended target has to take damage or else the card gets destroyed. So, if the damage is redirected, the card will be destroyed because the intended target took no damage.

Edit: I got all kinds of ninja'd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Schexnayder
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Also note that, unless you have something giving you a second power use or an out of turn power, you can only pull off the Sacrosanct Martyr combo every other turn since you have to use Kill the Spirit to reset the target.

Still, another awesome Fanatic promo. I particularly like it with Divine Sarcifice, as it increases the power level and limits the downside

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the replies.

I was playing it wrong though. I have a really old copy of the base game, and her cards are worded differently. They say nothing about her having to take the damage. They say things like "She must deal herself 4 fire damage or this card is destroyed". So by that wording, she deals herself the damage alright but never takes it.

The newer wording is better. The newer wording makes me sad because it suggests I need a big old errata sheet or yet another copy of the game.

This does balance the power out though, and so I'm happy. I rather like that version of her character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marstov wrote:

I was playing it wrong though. I have a really old copy of the base game, and her cards are worded differently. They say nothing about her having to take the damage. They say things like "She must deal herself 4 fire damage or this card is destroyed". So by that wording, she deals herself the damage alright but never takes it.

The newer wording is better. The newer wording makes me sad because it suggests I need a big old errata sheet or yet another copy of the game.

This does balance the power out though, and so I'm happy. I rather like that version of her character.

For a time at least you could get a pack with updated cards, but the ones I got were so differently sized from the others that they didn't shuffle well at all. We just stopped using them and put in the old cards and figured the errata wasn't THAT important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I don't flirt. I just say what I want." -JJ
badge
"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass." -Cordelia
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Marstov wrote:

For a time at least you could get a pack with updated cards, but the ones I got were so differently sized from the others that they didn't shuffle well at all. We just stopped using them and put in the old cards and figured the errata wasn't THAT important.

As an aside, if you sleeve your cards the difference isn't a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
No one tell him that rule 15 ruined Solar Flare/Imbued Fire/Flesh of the Sun God.

Seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Perry
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was interpreting that power as this. Say you use that power on the villain, he is now the designated target. If you use a power or one shot on your next turn to do like 5 damage to a different villain target, you ALSO do that damage to the designated target. I would think that for it to work the way you are playing it, it would have said "All damage done to Fanatic is redirected to this target." This game is usually pretty specific on how each of the cards work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cryosneasel wrote:
I was interpreting that power as this. Say you use that power on the villain, he is now the designated target. If you use a power or one shot on your next turn to do like 5 damage to a different villain target, you ALSO do that damage to the designated target. I would think that for it to work the way you are playing it, it would have said "All damage done to Fanatic is redirected to this target." This game is usually pretty specific on how each of the cards work.

It does say "redirect all damage dealt by Fanatic to that target." Your interpretation is not correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
grysqrl wrote:
cryosneasel wrote:

It does say "redirect all damage dealt by Fanatic to that target." Your interpretation is not correct.

I think he assumed that OP's original post was a direct quote of the card whereas it would appear based on what you said that OP paraphrased his summary of her power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.