Subject: Losing your only card for an adventure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JL San Miguel
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So you're going on an adventure and you only have just one card for it. blush (you are very brave, or foolish, or you're desperate or you like living on the edge).
Somebody plays a card and/or due to the fate wheel effect and you lose your only valid card. surprise
Now you don't have any cards to participate in the adventure you have already embarked into. gulp

I guess that's an automatic fail. Such is life, deal with it. Is that right? (or is there some kind of "pity" rule? "Ok, go on just with the fate draw and your skill points". I'm guessing no here, as you have to play a card either way (normal or ingenuity). Besides, the frontier is a harsh environment. zombie ).

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

You woudl just fail, but since you own the game - it you want to make it a house rule you always get the Fate draw, go for it. The game is about having fun and making memerable stories, so feel free to make a house rule here.

Thanks for playing and I hope you are having some legendary adventures.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

You woudl just fail, but since you own the game - it you want to make it a house rule you always get the Fate draw, go for it. The game is about having fun and making memerable stories, so feel free to make a house rule here.

Thanks for playing and I hope you are having some legendary adventures.

Richard

Good question by the OP, and thanks Richard for the blessing - that is what we have done - house ruled that you can start an adventure soley based on your character skill - even if it's zero. It seemed to help with the flow of the game and also allowed for perhaps an epic run in a desparation play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I would call this the Jeremiah Johnson rule. A city slicker goes into teh mountains and by all standards should have been dead in less than a week and became a mountain man legend. This seems to apply to this house rule.

And if you have not read about Jeremiah Johnson, or seen the movie, watch teh Robert Redford movie from teh late 70's I think. Brilliant movie.

RIchard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:
I would call this the Jeremiah Johnson rule.

Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JL San Miguel
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the answer, Richard.

WoW! surprise
The Jeremiah Johnson house rule.
Now I'm ever more glad I asked that question!

Such a fitting name for a possible house rule, great movie and a gem of a game!
Plus, he was a real Legend of the American Frontier https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not require you to play a card. If you have no playable card, you just go on Fate draw and skills. This is not a house rule, it's how the game is written!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
The rules do not require you to play a card. If you have no playable card, you just go on Fate draw and skills. This is not a house rule, it's how the game is written!

If that's the case then it's interesting that the person who described this as a house rule is the designer of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JL San Miguel
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:

I'm no rules lawyer and nobody wants to start a frontier war on rules (I hope ) but...
on the 1.1 rules, page 12, under Adventure Action Resolution/Attempt the adventure, step 2 it says

"Each Adventure shows one or more Skills required to succeed at the Adventure..."

"... The player that has chosen to go on an Adventure will do one of the following in playing a Skill card(s) on the Adventure.
The player can play 1 Skill Card of any value,..."

"...play multiple cards of the same Skill matching Trump, with each card being a value of 4 or less. This set may include Luck cards..."

underline is mine for emphasis

I may be wrong and I guess you can say is up to interpretation, but to me, it seems the spirit of the rule is to play one or multiple cards. Hence my original question about when you were deprived of the only one suitable for the adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.