$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 131.02

7,703 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Medici» Forums » General

Subject: Thematic question aboiut cards worth zero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thematically, why do some of the goods cards have a value of zero? I of course understand bidding on 4 measures of dye or 3 bushels of grain, or 2 yards of cloth. But why would I bid on ZERO of those items? (I of course know why, in the game, I would --- to be able to have more loads of that commodity. My question is thematic --- what does it mean to have a load of commodity worth zero? Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the values go from 1 to 6 rather than zero to 5?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
26halo26 wrote:
Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the values go from 1 to 6 rather than zero to 5?)

Perhaps, but from a game play standpoint rather than a thematic one, note that such a change would amplify the harm done if you wind up with empty space on your boat at the end of a voyage.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
26halo26 wrote:
Thematically, why do some of the goods cards have a value of zero? I of course understand bidding on 4 measures of dye or 3 bushels of grain, or 2 yards of cloth. But why would I bid on ZERO of those items? (I of course know why, in the game, I would --- to be able to have more loads of that commodity. My question is thematic --- what does it mean to have a load of commodity worth zero? Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the values go from 1 to 6 rather than zero to 5?)


Sometimes that grain just spoils during the long voyage home.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I thought it was just a measure of likely profit. At least, that is what made sense to me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of it in terms of quality.

Really nice fur, vs. rabbit, squirrel and raccoon, which you pawn off to your less fortunate customers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
Personally, I thought it was just a measure of likely profit. At least, that is what made sense to me.

That works for me.

The next step would be loss leaders. Would you take a -1 tile just to take majority in a commodity or push yourself into the bonus?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess the premise of my question was wrong: that the points represented quantity, leading to question about why I world bid on quantity zero. So it seems likely that the point value has to reflect simething qualitative. Zero must be lowest quality, or perhaps more obscure, lowest profitability. Zero profitability brings to mind the old joke about the suit salesman who says "at this price, I'm losing money on every sale", to which the customer says "then how do you stay in business?". The salesman answers "I make up for it in volume".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.