$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 97.74

6,236 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Given that one of the biggest advantages of Exceed is its quick setup time, I've been trying to figure out a way to track life that is clearly visible to the opponent (i.e. no "how much life do you have" questions), can be set up as quickly as possible (i.e. no counting up life tokens), and doesn't drag down play (i.e. swapping a "5" token with 5 "1" tokens).

Here's my proposed solution:

- Use the nine spaces of the board to define eleven spaces - one in front of each board-space, and one on either side.

- The two outside spaces are "10" and "0". For the sake of the convention, the "10" space is the one closest to your Deck. Thus, your "life bar" and your opponent's will be mirrored if you have your decks on the same side, or flipped if you have them opposite.

- Number each space in between in descending order, so that the eleven spaces are numbered from 0 to 10.

- Place three generic counters (e.g. coins) in the "10" space.

And the opponent does the same on the opposite side. Total setup time: 2 seconds! In order to satisfy the "clearly visible to the opponent" critereon, I also recommend that you keep each counter on "10" as long as possible (e.g. you'll have two counters on "10" until you're reduced below 20 life).

Or maybe all that was obvious - but anyway, it only just occurred to me this afternoon and now my whole world has expanded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two 10-sided dice. Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One ten and one FOUR. Done.
#lazy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Quote:
Two 10-sided dice. Done.

No! Bad benstylius! Go sit in the corner for ten minutes and think about the principles of UX-design!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but my user experience is that a digital clock is easier to read than a binary one. :-P

As well thought out as your system might be in terms of using the space between the spaces, there is also much more room for misinterpreting the data (both sides inverted from each other, needing to continually count spaces unless you physically number them, etc) and with character card movement also happening frequently throughout the game, any counters placed near enough to the "board" to be noticeably between spaces are more likely to be jostled, bumped, etc.

10 sided dice are plentiful, unmistakable, and can easily be placed close enough to the board to be seen, but not so close you risk bumping them. Also, you don't have to explain the dice system - most people would instinctively know how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Dice have some inherent problems as counters, though. No face on a standard ten-sided die is adjacent to the next or previous face in sequence. Each time you adjust the numbers, you need to scan the die to find its new value, possibly flipping it over in the process. It's not terrible, but it's several wasted seconds for each adjustment.

What I like about the Lazy method is that life-loss has a clear "motion" to it. Losing six life involves moving counters exactly twice as far as losing three life.

As for misinterpreting the data, bear in mind that the center space of the life-tracker is the "5" space. No matter where a counter is, it will be within two spaces of 0, 5, or 10. You could label the spaces with playing cards if you really wanted to, though. A 10 and 5 for their respective spaces, and maybe a jack for the 0 space - because your lifebar got jacked!

Bumping could be a concern, although that mainly depends on what you use for counters. Coins, for example, are flat enough that you wouldn't tend to hit them by accident. Mind you, bumping a counter won't do nearly as much as bumping a ten-sided die. Something heavy would be ideal, provided it's not tall enough to get in the way. Something like a thick glass bead or, if you're Canadian, a Loonie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Smith
msg tools
Devet wrote:
As for misinterpreting the data, bear in mind that the center space of the life-tracker is the "5" space. No matter where a counter is, it will be within two spaces of 0, 5, or 10. You could label the spaces with playing cards if you really wanted to, though. A 10 and 5 for their respective spaces, and maybe a jack for the 0 space - because your lifebar got jacked!

Your method is interesting, and if you like it, by all means use it. But I would by no means call it a "lazy" solution at this point.

Now we're adding cards to mark the value of spaces, and if we use playing cards we have to use Jacks to represent 0 when we're trained to think of them as 11s (or a 10 if you're playing Blackjack), and we have to explain how all this works to every new player, and remember not to use the 11th space even though people will instinctively want to count it... Man, I'm kinda exhausted just thinking about it! XD

Dice work reliably well, require no explanation before a match, and risk of them rolling over is truly nominal, as d10s and 6s both have ample surface area to remain stable (unlike d20s). Plus, you're not going to be bumping them, because you don't need to keep them in the center of the table where all the action is going on. They can be kept safely off to the sides. I agree, they have a minor setback in that sometimes it's a little annoying finding the number you want, but this is only a trifle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Smith
msg tools
Or just download one of the million free lifetracking apps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jitjit2x junior
Philippines
flag msg tools
I like your method and I have been using this. Very clever and very creative
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.