Popular Tags: scam [+] IP [+] [View All]
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, I was approached by a service provider in China for domain name registration. He told me that one of his clients would like to apply for registration using the exact same business name for domain. He wanted to clarify with us if his client is our business partner. I replied him that we did not have any business dealings with his client.

The service provider went back to advise his client to change their domain name. A day later, the client wrote directly to me stating that they will persist with using the same domain name.

As I am not familiar with the laws surrounding the use of same business domain name, I would like to seek advice from fellow BGG-ers who may be familiar with this area. If the other party goes ahead with using the same business domain name, besides possible confusion, will there be other possible implications on us regarding the use of the same business domain name?

I am assuming that they will also be operating under the same business name as what they use for their domain, will there be possible future trademark/copyright issue in the above situation? Does registration at an earlier date protect us against possible future issue that may arise from the use of the same business name?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
One vital detail: The domain name in question is startingplayer.com and they are planning to use startingplayer.com.cn or something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Tell them your lawyer will contact them, and that you may be interested in selling the name.

See if and how much they offer in an effort to make an offer before you really have a chance to talk to an attorney.

It may be enough money to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
Cases such as this are usually scams. There is no other client, the provider is just hoping that you are sufficiently eager to protect your brand that you will register an entirely unneeded extra domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
gjerde wrote:
Cases such as this are usually scams. There is no other client, the provider is just hoping that you are sufficiently eager to protect your brand that you will register an entirely unneeded extra domain.

What he said. Google will ignore them and so should you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Total scam. The place I work gets these absurdist emails weekly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Well known scam. I own about five domain names and get this mail about five times a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.