Baseball Highlights: 2045» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Striking a Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Kenigsberg

Dix Hills
New York
msg tools
This was the Summer game for my son and me. Most games were close, but he being the superior gamer overall, won most of our series played. Once he left for college, I played solo and on IOS. The game loses none of its charm and balance in virtually any scenario.

In the solo game, you build your deck over a chosen number of rounds, I went with three. The opposition was comprised of all free agents. Although this would appear to generate random outcomes, the incredible balance with which this game is purposely designed actually results in play by play that makes sense. This isn't true 100% of the time, but over the course of a series, you feel that the opponent is somehow aware of your game plan. An excellent result for a solo game.

The IOS experience is also rewarding. The graphics and game play are entirely consistent with the board game version. The AI keeps you on your toes and again, the games are close and fun. I would encourage any baseball fan and any one who enjoys a solid deck building game to give Baseball Highlights: 2045 a try. I highly recommend it as a 2 player game and even for those who play solo. The IOS version will not disappoint.

One word on how appropriate the game is for younger players. Certainly, the baseball theme will attract younger gamers and I think BGG is placing the age at 9 or so. Without any doubt a younger gamer can learn the rules, understand the text and pacing of play. What could be difficult to handle for some younger players is the often harsh outcome of the defense actions. At times, the results are devastating (I was raised a Mets fan, so I've grown accustomed to that on occasion). Just something to be aware of if you have a younger player in mind for this game. Oh, and a shout out to the graphics on this game. Thanks for adding Mr. Met to the box cover and on the IOS home screen! He looks right at home in 2045.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brazee
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Well, rave on Its a crazy feeling and I know its got me reeling
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Met fan and a big fan of Baseball Highlights 2045. I enjoy the app, have all the expansion sets and looking for a sweep against the Phillies today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words about the app Jay. I have been working on the app full-time for almost 2 years now and can't tell you how important messages like this are to me for keeping my morale up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Dunning
United States
Murfreesboro
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The app is fantastic...probably my favorite board game app. I don't own the physical game yet, but the app has bumped it to the top of my wish list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Thanks for the kind words about the app Jay. I have been working on the app full-time for almost 2 years now and can't tell you how important messages like this are to me for keeping my morale up.

In that case I'll also chime in and say that I'm very happy about the app and I ended up buying the physical game with all non-team expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kenigsberg

Dix Hills
New York
msg tools
Peter, you did a fantastic job! As mentioned in my post, my gaming buddy is my son and now he's away at school. The app has really eased my transition to solo gaming. I look forward to playing it and each time I do, I am amazed how tight the games are. This has also been a particularly rough work week and BH 2045 has been my way to wind down. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kenigsberg

Dix Hills
New York
msg tools
BuddyHolly wrote:
Another Met fan and a big fan of Baseball Highlights 2045. I enjoy the app, have all the expansion sets and looking for a sweep against the Phillies today.

That's great! Is there any particular expansion you would suggest starting with? And, LGM!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brazee
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Well, rave on Its a crazy feeling and I know its got me reeling
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them all and have mixed them all in. The coaches is kept separate and is the only one I could take or leave. Today's Met's game was painful. Need wins against the Marlins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say the box has not come out as much since the app did. I play it a lot more on the app as I tend to play it solo. The solo play on the app is fantastic, classic or AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Soon to be published!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play many games besides Chess on my phone, but this is one of them! Would love to try it face to face at some point

Regards
Asger Granerud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback. It really means a lot to hear how much people are enjoying the game!

Ralph

Go Wiffle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another voice in the chorus of "Great game, great app". My 12 year old son and I love playing the game (with the expansions). We even did a draft and run a 12 team league (with the two of us rotating teams).

I play the app a lot at work or on the road. The AI is fun to play, and I can't wait to buy the expansions when they come out on the app :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.