Subject: Kubo and the two strings. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
First to get the RSP out of the way, it is movie with a strong nod to Buddhism. The movie is set in Japan in a traditionally-Buddhist village. The action gets going after Kubo, attends a Buddhist Obon Festival.

They do it beautifully and build a fantastic adventure story on top of some of the most beautiful movie making in terms of animation I have ever seen. This one is worth seeing on the big screen to get the real impact of the stop motion techniques, really it is!

I really enjoyed the way they explored themes of the value of life and importance of family.

George Takei get to say "Oh My" at one point... a plus for us geeky types.

The director, Travis Knight, says his mother-in-law and her family are Buddhist. About the Buddhism in the film, Knight said,

Quote:

“That kind of spirituality is not something you typically see in film. I think it spoke to the basic idea about losing something that matters to you, which is a fundamental part of life. You don’t get through life unscathed. Being able to explore those ideas through the prism of fantasy and animation really allows parents and children to experience those things together, in a way they can understand. Sometimes these ideas are difficult to articulate, but in a film, if done in a poetic way, those things can make sense and you can talk about them.”

http://www.lionsroar.com/new-film-kubo-and-the-two-strings-i...

I don't know that I agree that these themes and spiritual ideas aren't typically seen in film at all... but I agree that this cultural and religious perspective isn't seen in Western films often. They do a beautiful job of doing it in a way that is meaningful while still being mostly a fun adventure story for all ages.

They also I think managed to remain true to some very non-western concepts from Asian culture, like ancestor veneration with a nod to a we are but part of a bigger story foundation belief without making it so different viscerally from a western cultural perspective that it interferes with our becoming immersed in the characters and feeling a deep human kinship with them.

Plus great fairy tale/fantasy in its own right as well. With some well done humor tossed in.

Overall well done IMO... so Kudos for Kubo from me.

You all should go see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been hearing fantastic things about it, although I can't say I've been overwhelmed by their previous offerings (Coraline, ParaNorman, Boxtrolls). I mean - I know, I know - they are local, stop-motion nearly a lost craft, etc, et al.

Still. Just kinda 'meh' on what they've done so far.

This really that much better than the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

I liked it much better than Coraline. I didn't see ParaNorman nor BoxTrolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

You all should go see it.

You can't tell me what to do, Lynette!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.