19 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Companion App ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan J.
France
flag msg tools
I just read the article The Digital Side of Board Gaming on FFG site https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/26/the-ele... and I was wondering if this game will have a companion app, or need one ?

Tracking progression over scenarios and campaigns, players / investigators /cards used in decks when playing multiple times the same scenario, etc.

In the first article Enter the Mythos https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/2/enter-th... there is an image of a sheet that do this.

What do you think ? What do you prefer ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a companion app if it were available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to keep track the old fashioned way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario-specific ambient soundtracks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
God no. People that want their phones in the game have Mansions of Madness: Second Edition to play now. If this game were to become in any way app-dependent, it would be a deal breaker for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's likely we may see a Bag of Chaos app, but it will be entirely optional. Not much else to keep track of. I guess maybe a campaign sheet app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
It's likely we may see a Bag of Chaos app, but it will be entirely optional. Not much else to keep track of. I guess maybe a campaign sheet app.

I think the key here would be optional.

I can see a campaign sheet app with a Bag of Chaos being highly convenient. Not necessary, but a luxury to make things a little easier to manage for those who don't mind an electronic element alongside their board/card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
God no. People that want their phones in the game have Mansions of Madness: Second Edition to play now. If this game were to become in any way app-dependent, it would be a deal breaker for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:

I think the OP is talking about a companion app. Nobody has mentioned app dependent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blayne Miley
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
If the companion app would just be doing some bookkeeping, then an unofficial one could be created. Might be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:

Feel free not to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe "What I'm Playing Now" Leuzzi
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.whatimplayingnow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely use an app to track things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd use one, too. It would be nice to log in and track my campaign progress digitally, if only to help me remember if there's a long stretch between games, or to go back and see what happened along the way if I wanted to replay a campaign and compare how well I did/change my approach.

I still prefer physically reaching into a bag to pull tokens over an app for it, but I can definitely see the benefits of a digital token generator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A companion app (NOT one required to play as it is in Mansions of Madness), that optionally allowed users the ability to store and track campaign information, the developing chaos bag, and maybe even a deck builder/saved deck tracker, would be okay.

But even the very popular Imperial Assault doesn't have a campaign tracking app yet and I doubt this card game will get one any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tunabowl tony
msg tools
SirRoke wrote:
But even the very popular Imperial Assault doesn't have a campaign tracking app yet and I doubt this card game will get one any time soon.

yea, i think they would wait and see how popular the game is first. i'm pretty confident in saying that someone will make an unofficial app. just about every other co-op card game has them and i dont see why this game would be any different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know at least two separate projects already in the works to simulate the chaos bag mechanic (one being mine ). It is a legitimate concern of many players, and an app serves a very good purpose; so, that aspect of the game will be covered from multiple angles as soon as the game hits the shelves (maybe even sooner). As far as campaign progression goes, however, I don't see why would we need an app for that. There is very minimal information needed to be stored. Substituting that with an app and typing everything in actually takes more times and effort that just writing them down on the very stylish and practical campaign sheets provided by FFG. Maybe at some point someone will make one; I don't know, but I don't really see the point at the moment. Maybe I will later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano G.
Italy
Lana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had a companion app is certainly like it to record my data, track my plays of which scenarios and whatnot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.