47.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the solo game I am currently playing, all Gaulic faction are eligible on a card (Belgae first) and my Romans are not.

Next card is Flight of Ambiorix ...

Since the Belgae play on the current card, I will be first on the next and can easily remove Ambiorix from game (Beligic Victory less than 10)

I know that this is not in the rules, but wouldn't it be better somehow if the NP factions had a way to react in a way to protect themselves from certain upcoming events that cause a huge problem in their play?
A human Belgae player would pass in order to save his leader while if I follow the NP instructions Ambiorix can be doomed since Belgae will not be eligible on the Flight of Ambiorix card ...

Any thoughts?

PS: ok this is a rule question but goes with the subject, if I remove Ambiorix, will he return next spring or his successor will?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The NP may do some horrible moves, that is confirmed. See Re: Gallic/Germanic subduction of Gallic/German tribe, the Romans benefit? for NP giving VP to the Romans (unless some very vague condition kicks in, as described in by Volko here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Attiki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that in my example there is no win giving situation -which case the rules are well covering with the bullet Volko is pointing at- it is more like the Belgae will doom themselves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nickpes wrote:

I know that this is not in the rules, but wouldn't it be better somehow if the NP factions had a way to react in a way to protect themselves from certain upcoming events that cause a huge problem in their play?
A human Belgae player would pass in order to save his leader while if I follow the NP instructions Ambiorix can be doomed since Belgae will not be eligible on the Flight of Ambiorix card ...

Any thoughts?

PS: ok this is a rule question but goes with the subject, if I remove Ambiorix, will he return next spring or his successor will?

Good luck to define rules that hold on a flowchart so that factions "protect themselves" from future events! This is just not a realistic expectation, it would be nice but probably require a computer.
Besides, the flowchart already gives 2 chances out of 3 to play the next event if the faction goes first. It won't in the situation you describe of course but what is the right course of action anyway? Depending on the board situation it is not clear at all that the best choice for Belgae is to prevent you to remove Ambiorix, nor is it clear that *your* best option is to take the leader out!

The flowcharts will invariably lead to suboptimal plays, no discussion about that. On the other hand the NP factions get some help (no lim Op) and they also help each other. This was striking for me after noticing that the Aedui will most often agree to supply lines and provide resources to the NP Roman... quite a difference to what you may experience as a Roman player

EDIT: as to your last question, I haven't yet experienced loss of leaders in my games so far but as I understand it, the Belgae successor leader would indeed arrive at the next winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully agree with Didier.

The bots currently strike a very good balance between how much effort it takes to run them and how challenging they are.
Keeping the law of diminishing returns in mind, any improvement in how good they play will require a extra effort on the human's part. In my mind the effort required will far outweigh the benefits.

He also makes a very good point in saying that the proposed absolute "a human Belgae player will pass in this situation" isn't necessarily true. What if the Belgae can take an action on the current card that will cut off supply to all of Romes legions and due to card count winter will come before Rome can reestablish supply if they take the next event?
Or what if Belgae are the only ones that can prevent Rome from winning and it needs to be done on the current action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Attiki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get your points and indeed seem right.

Unfortunately the way things are in my game the Belgae really would prefer to save their leader - if a player - cause it is in such a point that they need him. After all he is with 12 Wb in Nervii region and Atrebated is Roman controlled with Legions, Allies etc

I decided not to take the event thus leave Ambiorix in game to balance this situation that came up, it is a game after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.