Support:

John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- we're going to play tonight, and will try to play the first 3 episodes
- which 2 main characters would you suggest we actually "play as"?
- and which 4 should we use as the "support" characters (so their decks will be in play via the "crew deck")

* we also are using a version of a variant i saw posted here on BGG, where we will randomly select 7 cards from our own avatar's deck and shuffle them in with the other cards to create the crew deck...and whenever one of those cards is drawn, the player (either of us) whose card it is will place that in front of them, and later in the game can pay the cost to use the card.

thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the rulebook gives you the 'best' characters to select from for 2-4 players, so in your case it'd be:

Playable avatars: Mal, Kaylee
Main non-player avatars: Zoe, Jayne, Book
Support avatars (the crew deck): Wash, Inara, River, Simon

But I'd say pick whichever characters you fancy. Personally, I like the random nature of selection on occasion, so for my game last night I shuffled all 9 avatars and then split them out into piles of 2,3 and 5 respectively. Then, being really sad/lame - slowly revealed them in reverse order... turns out my 2 playable avatars were the 'other' couple on Serenity: Simon and Kaylee.

Also means that the 5 support avatars were random too, so got to see and buy and use a few different cards in the crew deck. Especially as I randomly had Jayne and Mal in the support crew with all their cards (usually 2 of my faves).

Anyhow - enjoy and have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manserfamily wrote:
I shuffled all 9 avatars and then split them out into piles of 2,3 and 5 respectively.

2, 3, and 4 maybe?

But, yeah pick who you want, it will be challenging regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you want characters that are "most beneficial" in terms of the episode cards, my suggestions are below. If that sort of analysis ruins the surprise/fun for you, then avoid the spoiler text.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Jayne, Mal, Wash, and Zoe are good to have as "main characters" (either as your player avatar, or as one of the "extra" main characters). Kaylee can provide some benefit if she's one of your player avatars, but I would avoid having her as one of the extra main characters in those episodes.

Jayne offers some advantage as a player avatar in those eps, and for a second I would go with Mal, Zoe, or Kaylee (Kaylee's talent at repairing ship strikes can come in handy in the first episode)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
If you want characters that are "most beneficial" in terms of the episode cards, my suggestions are below. If that sort of analysis ruins the surprise/fun for you, then avoid the spoiler text.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Jayne, Mal, Wash, and Zoe are good to have as "main characters" (either as your player avatar, or as one of the "extra" main characters). Kaylee can provide some benefit if she's one of your player avatars, but I would avoid having her as one of the extra main characters in those episodes.

Jayne offers some advantage as a player avatar in those eps, and for a second I would go with Mal, Zoe, or Kaylee (Kaylee's talent at repairing ship strikes can come in handy in the first episode)
but my understanding is that you do not use the decks of your "playable characters" or any of the "avatar characters", and that your crew deck is only made up of the other/remaining 4 "support characters"...do i have that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhythmic wrote:
manserfamily wrote:
I shuffled all 9 avatars and then split them out into piles of 2,3 and 5 respectively.

2, 3, and 4 maybe?

But, yeah pick who you want, it will be challenging regardless.

Hah, yeah... I can't seem to add up to 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
but my understanding is that you do not use the decks of your "playable characters" or any of the "avatar characters", and that your crew deck is only made up of the other/remaining 4 "support characters"...do i have that right?

Yes, you've got that right. I think Jay was simply saying which characters might be useful in which part of the game (playable avatar, main crew, support crew with their decks to populate the Bridge).

Some of the episode cards trigger specific things or have effects based on who is where (avatar/played, main cast, support, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

Yes, you are correct.
My analysis was of cards in the Episode decks. Many of those cards have different effects depending on which crewmembers are "main characters", and there are some where certain crewmembers get a bonus (or a penalty) if they are a player character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.