Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing the menu, after drawing 4 cards, picking one, and shuffling the other cards back in the draw deck, does the player play the card they chose and one of the cards that were handed to them from their neighbor--essentially playing 2 cards similar to chopsticks, or just the card they chose from the drawn cards. Last night, while playing a game with the menu cards, we noticed the player(s), who played a menu card who only chose the 1 card from the ones drawn from the draw pile, ended up handing one more additional card to their neighbor. To avoid this, we decided the player would instead play the 1 card, used with the menu card, and 1 from the hand of cards handed to them from their neighbor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
msg tools
It looks to me like you're playing Menu incorrectly. Everyone should always be passed the same number of cards as everyone else. Here is how a play of Menu should progress:

1. Everyone chooses and plays their card. For simplicity sake, let's say you're the only player to play Menu this turn.
2. You then immediately draw four cards off the deck and choose one, placing it right into your tableau.
3. You discard the Menu card.
4. Everyone then passes their hand to the left. The hand from which you played the Menu should now be with the person to your left, and you should have a new hand from the person on your right. All these hands should have the same number of cards, and you should choose a card to play from your new hand as normal.

When you play a Menu, you're basically saying "I don't want any of the cards in this hand that much, let me play the Menu to try and get something I want more from the deck."

Edit: added slightly more clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help. Yeah, we got it wrong. This makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Rau
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3. You discard the Menu Card

This is incorrect. Rather you shuffle the Menu card back into the draw pile. This ensures that later on you will still be able to draw 4 cards when playing the Menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
msg tools
MistaRau wrote:
3. You discard the Menu Card

This is incorrect. Rather you shuffle the Menu card back into the draw pile. This ensures that later on you will still be able to draw 4 cards when playing the Menu.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. According to the rules on Menu:

"...choose any 1 card to play immediately (except another menu card). Return the remaining 3 cards to the deck and shuffle it. Discard the menu face-up beside the board. (It will be shuffled back into the deck for the next round)."

This does not mean it will be shuffled back in with the 3 non-chosen cards. It means that once the round is over and everyone has tallied up their points, all Menus (along with all other non-dessert cards) will be gathered together and shuffled in preparation for the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.