Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A K
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a game of Citadels tonight with some of my friends for the first time. Midway through one of his turns, one of my friends asked if there were any rules that restricted discarding. We went through the rules, but didn't find anything that mentioned a restriction on discarding. Does anyone know if there is a rule about this?
Thanks,
Abis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Discarding what, exactly?

"If there's no rule for it, you can't do it" is a good general rule of thumb. I really have no idea what you want to discard, here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
Ni hao!
badge
Wo ai zhong guo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine you mean discarding districts. I believe that you may only do so with the magicians ability.

Discard x cards and draw x many from the supply.
or
Swap hands with another player

Allowing players to discard without this character would greatly weaken him and his abilities

Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irving
Australia
Sydney, Potts Point
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion character Diplomat allows a District exhange with another player as his special power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the lack of clarity. I did indeed mean discarding district cards. This only became an issue when people a tthe table had multiples of the same card. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not being able to discard at will is important because it keeps unwanted cards out of the game when the discard pile gets recycled.

In other words, because of this rule, the average card in the draw pile tends to become increasingly desirable as the game progresses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding happens all the time in Citadels. Remember that your action for a turn is either take 2 gold or draw two cards and DISCARD one of them. The rules explicitly say that the discard goes to the bottom of the deck.

Other places where you discard are the afore mentioned Magician power (the rules also say put them at the bottom of the deck) and also the district destroyed by the Warlord. I have always played that all discards just go to the bottom of the deck like in the first case. It is very seldom that a game goes completely through the whole deck anyway, so it doesn't make much difference in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reiterating - you cannot discard and draw replacements except with the Magician. You cannot discard without drawing a replacement either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
Discarding happens all the time in Citadels.

Yes, but not discarding at will; i.e., when not mandated by a specific rule. That seemed to be what the original poster was asking about.

mark_biggar wrote:
The rules explicitly say that the discard goes to the bottom of the deck.

I want to clarify what I said when I talked about a discard pile.

When I play, I keep a separate discard pile in order to avoid having the players lift the draw pile every single time a card is discarded. This helps reduce the risk of damage and wear to the fragile cards. When the discard pile gets recycled, I "redeal" it into a new draw deck in order to preserve the correct order.

Sorry if this caused any confusion.

mark_biggar wrote:
It is very seldom that a game goes completely through the whole deck anyway, so it doesn't make much difference in practice.

That's true. But when it does happen, it has the potential to make a critical difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

Built districts: you can not discard them

Cards in your hand: For a player, it does not make a difference whether if you discard them or not. But you must keep them in your hand, in case a magician wants to swap with you. So, no , you can not discard them.

happy games!
fer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth noting, if you draw two cards from the deck as an action and discard one.

The one discard must be one of the two cards you picked up, not one from your hand (as I have seen tried).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ronster0 wrote:
Also worth noting, if you draw two cards from the deck as an action and discard one.

The one discard must be one of the two cards you picked up, not one from your hand (as I have seen tried).

Actually, on a side note... If you dig on Bruno's website, you'll find out that the German rules state that you draw two cards, then discard any one card from your hand.

Rather than publish an errata, it became the official German rule, and is suggested as a possible variant for other languages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, just because you have a tavern or other small building in your district, and another in your hand, doesn't mean that the one in your hand is useless.

One game I had a total of three different taverns built because of the warlord and an intial draw all three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.