Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

My eldest daughter turns 9 at the end of next month and id like to pick her up a game or 2 for her birthday.

she loves playing games as a family and when possible we get our 4 year old involved too, she started with Cardfight Vanguard and moved on to Yugioh as she was watching the animes but now mainly plays board games with myself, my wife and when possible our youngest.

we have a decent selection of family friendly games but would like to get her something we could all play as a family, I don't know how easy it is to link to or view my current owned games but I have updated my owned list.

main recommendation I have had that I don't already own so far is Splendor, which I think she will enjoy.

I did think about 'roll for it' as the dice chucking element is easy enough for the whole family to join in on but does it have much replayability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A fun and fast game would be STOCK TICKER. Another might be a Monopoly game of whatever subject she's interested in. Monopoly has dozens of different subjects on the market now. Great family gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for something that could include the 4yo?

I also have a 9yo girl and a 4yo (boy), and we have found that co-ops work really well. We enjoy Mice & Mystics, which I saw you already have. Our daughter also really likes Flash Point: Fire Rescue; she has even set it up by herself and played solo. And our son likes to move the firefighters and pretend he's spraying water.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple is fast and furious dice rolling. Our 4yo can't really play, but he sits there and rolls dice and feels included.

Terror in Meeple City also works well as a fun, silly family game.

Above and Below would not work for the 4yo, but it has a fun story component that your daughter might like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. Eureka and Doodle Quest . They are made for kids but adults love them as well. They might be a bit tough for the four year old though.

I'll also second Flash Point:fire rescue. I can't comment on how well it goes with young kids but it's a great game.

I'm not sure if Splendor would do well with most nine year olds. Of course it depends on your daughter but because of the tight economy and dull theme It wouldn't be the first game I would reach for to play with a kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coops like Fire Rescue are great.
I'd add

Forbidden Island and
Forbidden Desert to the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Dungeon Petz? My son loves raising pets and selling them even though he sometime has troubles in fulfilling their needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is a great game for kids (& adults).
I just bought Splendor which my 8 year old likes, but the 9 year old is not thrilled by it for some reason.

Others worth a look that aren't in your collection that my kids enjoy include Machi Koro, Galaxy Trucker, and Ive found Raiders of the North Sea is good as an introduction to euros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I would recommended Love Letter, Sushi Go! or Incan Gold my family really likes these games they are quick and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
I have enjoyed Machi Koro, Splendor, Rhino Hero (which i see you already have) & Welcome to the Dungeon with my 9 year old. Almost everything I play with him wears off after a while though.]

I am considering to get Jamaica

With a 4 year old and 9 year old, do consider getting Coconuts.
After all, it's BGG's number 1 rated children's game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmb
that's for the suggestions.

so far I will look into flashpoint as I have had it recommended before also.

terror in meeple city and coconuts also look like they should be a good laugh for the family.

I would love to get dungeon petz but it seems quite in depth but ill let my wife decide on that one as its also on my personal wish list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence or Red7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Orinoco Gold or Survive: Escape atlantis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought some games to a dinner at a friends house today and had a surprise visit from a couple with a 10-ish year old boy and thought I would tell you that he didn't really get the kind of of thinking needed to play Dr.Eureka. I've read about other people who have played with even younger kids then that so maybe your daughter could handle it but just thought I would mention it in case you were considering it.(The adults loved it though.)

We did play Spot it! and a good time was had by kid and adults alike. They also said he likes to play Blokus at home.

He also had fun just stacking and playing around with my Looney Pyramids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Circus Flohcati is a good one. Interesting set collection game that seems quite light but has some interesting decision making.

Good reinforcement of basic number line theory too (you need to be able to compare the values of cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So there is a possibility that she'll get a second game? Might I recommend that the second game be something that is not as family-oriented, something with a theme that appeals directly to her, and that is more challenging? Kids who have been exposed to board games are ready by ages 9-10 for most adult games, and while they are going to be happy playing with younger siblings, they also might be looking for something more challenging. Indeed, a two-player game might provide strong strategic challenges with the added benefit of being something that you do who her alone.

[ETA] Possibilities:
7 Wonder Duel,
Lost Cities,
Battle Line,
Among the Star Revival,
Thunder and Lightning,
The Rose King,
Asante,
Kahunna,
Patchwork,
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My boy has just turned nine, and I bought him Potion Explosion, which has a neat marble collecting mechanic. Also , check out the games that Haba have brought out for older children :

Karuba
Adventure Land
The Heroes of Kaskaria

Good luck .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mullaney

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
msg tools
As a parent of a 7 year old keeping his attention and not getting board is the hurdle I deal with. But I asked him and he suggested:

Rhino Hero
Karuba
King of Tokyo
Dr. Eurka
Formula D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freeze
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think Roll For It! get a little too old a little too quickly.

Las Vegas is a dice roller that I've had great luck with in mixed groups. Quick, easy to teach, and enough to keep adults and kids interested.

Splendor +1
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
I have to second Dr. Eureka.

A game that I have found that works well with almost all ages (although it might be a little tough for the 4 year old) is Hanabi. A neat cooperative mechanism.

Finally, Gloobz I think is a great game for kids and adults to play with kids. It has some neat creature shapes that you try to match along with colors and it is a dexterity game. We met the designer at GenCon and he was super cool and passionate about the game but we just didn't know anyone with kids who may be interested in it so it maybe worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
King of Tokyo
Forbidden Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
I second King of Tokyo, Rhino Hero, and Terror in Meeple City.

Maybe also consider Machi Koro and Hey, That's My Fish! and Bad Beets.

A big investment but probably a lot of fun would also be two newer games, Potion Explosion and Junk Art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.