Support:

John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife beats me at every euro. Hands down destruction of my ego and my intelligence. We've found she's remarkably good at long term planning/strategy (she'll beat most at Chess) and I suck at it. I'm good at tactical stuff like hand management. I'll always beat her at Mage Knight basically, while I'll lose at every Euro. I want more stuff we can sort of have a fair competition in.

Now, I don't want to buy Scythe, because I have it. It's not what I want. I am curious on any comparisons between Scythe though, and Eclipse. I kind of liked Scythe, but it was too long term planning/thinky for me. I am considering Eclipse and am wondering if it is something I might like. We'd MOSTLY be playing with TWO and I understand we need the expansion to help balance the game for two. Is Eclipse a euro resource management game? Or is it more of a hybrid? If you look at my top "10" - might you think I'd like Eclipse?

edit: Apparently I won't like Eclipse. Recommend me some other games? Co-ops I haven't heard of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're tired of Euros, you probably don't want Eclipse. I haven't played Eclipse, but from what I gather, it's very heavy on the resource management.

If you want something a little less long-term, a little more tactical, and more Ameritrashy, then maybe look at something like Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers. Also, if you're just trying to move away from Euros, I'll recommend Merchants & Marauders. There is long-term strategy, but short-term strategies easily meld into long-term ones, so you don't need to stress about it too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip Eclipse. It's a soulless spreadsheet game with a 4x space battle veneer.

Looking at your collection and ratings and criteria in this thread, I would recommend Ortus Regni. Highly tactical deck construction game (like MtG) but a closed system, no expansions or boosters or any of that crap. The strategy is in the deck construction, but playing the game is all tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you are probably not going to love Eclipse.

But then again, I was looking at your ratings and you hate almost everything, so it is hard to give you a solid recommendation. I was going to recommend you Twilight Struggle, but you gave that a 2 (wtf?), so maybe I should just not try to recommend anything.

PS: I wish I had a wife like yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
Yeah, you are probably not going to love Eclipse.

But then again, I was looking at your ratings and you hate almost everything, so it is hard to give you a solid recommendation. I was going to recommend you Twilight Struggle, but you gave that a 2 (wtf?), so maybe I should just not try to recommend anything.

PS: I wish I had a wife like yours.

She paints (minis), she plays games, she works, she cooks, and she makes me laugh. I consider myself very lucky.

And I'm a harsh critic of just about everything, not just board games We played T.S. probably 4 times and my ratings dropped after each play. My main grievances were the length and randomness of the draw and the swingy nature of the game (I don't like big 'swings').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you won't like Eclipse for multiple reasons, it is a hybrid, and I like it a lot, but, it is awful for just two players, probably takes longer than you want, and likely has more Euro to it than you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowless11 wrote:
If you're tired of Euros, you probably don't want Eclipse. I haven't played Eclipse, but from what I gather, it's very heavy on the resource management.

If you want something a little less long-term, a little more tactical, and more Ameritrashy, then maybe look at something like Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers. Also, if you're just trying to move away from Euros, I'll recommend Merchants & Marauders. There is long-term strategy, but short-term strategies easily meld into long-term ones, so you don't need to stress about it too much.

I don't think I'd like the MTG theme. I didn't like M&M. The one time I played I got into a situation where I couldn't do anything and got steamrolled, all of which was no fault of my own really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
Skip Eclipse. It's a soulless spreadsheet game with a 4x space battle veneer.

Looking at your collection and ratings and criteria in this thread, I would recommend Ortus Regni. Highly tactical deck construction game (like MtG) but a closed system, no expansions or boosters or any of that crap. The strategy is in the deck construction, but playing the game is all tactics.

That looks very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd say that Eclipse is similar to Mage Knight in that they're more Euroey than the box would make you think. And they're both good, that too :-)

However, Eclipse is a lot more random than Scythe or MK is. In that it's half tactial half strategical - you ought to have a plan for the endgame, but the randomness can create a need to shift plans and react accrodingly. Also, It does not compare to Scythe all too well:
- You create the universe by drawing tiles for exploration (can get shafted by a useless sector or one full of enemies)
+ random rewards for exploring (sort of like encounter rewards in Scythe, except their usefulness varies more)
- roll dice for combat (although ship design - a big part fo the game - matters). But combat in Eclipse feels good, Scythe is meh.
- no efficience engine building, you gain stuff by conquering stuff and research tech to easily conquer stuff.
- techs are more explicit with different costs and three distinct trees. You're not gonna get all upgrades like in Scythe. You're not even getting most, unless you're the one dude that researches 2x per action.

As good as Eclipse is, I'm not sure it's a good 2p game. But then again, not many games designed to support more than 2p are good when played only head to head, so that caveat applies to most any game. So if you enjoy direct conflict and do not miss the alliance/diplomacy/kingmaking of multiple players, might be a decent choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Btw. from "I'm tired of euros" and "2p" game and "more tactical" I draw this conclusion: you need more epic AT games in your lives:
Fury of Dracula (second edition)
Middle-Earth Quest
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Star Wars: Imperial Assault / Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

What these have in common besides being theme-heavy ats is that they're all design as 2 side games, thus it makes next to no difference if there's 2 or 6 of you.

Breaking the theme a bit, I'd recommend this over Eclipse for your needs:
Forbidden Stars
Very good at 2p, dice+cards combat
Or Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game if you're in for the whole 4x thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Had a little look at the games your not keen on and there's a few really good ones that you did not hit it off with. Looks like some of them have already been recommended and if I did not check my self I probably would have put them forward.
So here are three that were not in your ratings, I think .
Pricey but still cheaper than kingdom death is Warhammer Quest if you can find a copy ,well worth it. Me and my family still play it and we have mixed adventuring parties for when different people play. My brother and his missus play it when they pop round and we keep the characters details for the next time.
Next is a chess variant The Duke . I have seen good chess players stumble with this one and it plays fast.
Another card game to try is Imperial Settlers it is slightly euro style and the hand management is fun. If you do not like the way a factions card works me and the missus sometimes agree to pick one from each deck to remove to allow for different tactics or card engines to be made.
If you take an interest and like one of these it would be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx Tomas, Mark, and others, keep em comin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I also enjoy Mage Knight, Kingdom: Death Monster, and Cave Evil I'll throw out a couple other favorites of mine for you.

Deus - A nice mix Hand Management, combo building, and abstract area control with a Civ-building theme. Might be a nice mix of what you two are strong at.

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines - Deterministic combat with a unique hand management system where you pick two cards from hand to form your characters move for the round. The cards the go to a two turn discard pile cycling area so you can't use the same moves every round and have to plan out your attacks carefully. Emulates the "Street Fighter"-style of game pretty well.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
It sounds like you want:

- A board
- Low strategy, high tactics
- No engine building
- 2 player

If she's good at chess, a few of the skills might carry over to the abstract games, but these are the most tactical of the ones I know so it's likely that in at least one you'll be better or equal to her.

Apocalypse Chaos (Coop - Puzzle solving)
The King's Armory (Coop)
T.I.M.E Stories (Coop - Story based)
TZAAR (Abstract)
YINSH (Abstract)
ZÈRTZ (Abstract - Puzzly more than tactical)

These two Euros focus more on spotting and grabbing the most valuable spot on the map, rather than any sort of engine building/route optimization, so they may work for you:

Carcassonne
Five Tribes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Raptor would keep the both of you happy.

Furthermore Legends of Andor might be a nice coop for the two of you.

Just have a look.

EDIT: missed that you know LoA...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
And I'm a harsh critic of just about everything, not just board games We played T.S. probably 4 times and my ratings dropped after each play. My main grievances were the length and randomness of the draw and the swingy nature of the game (I don't like big 'swings').

Yeah, I'm getting a Grumpy Cat vibe from your collection...

I would recommend:

Summoner Wars - except you'll hate the dice

or

Innovation - but you'll say it's too abstract

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 you won't like Eclipse (or most top games listed here frankly). It's very strategic

Also +1 to Innovation. You guys should try some Chudyk games because they have a mix of tactical play and strategic play. Innovation is the best of the bunch in mixing multiple types of strategies with overlapping timings. It's very good

Freedom: The Underground Railroad and Ghost Stories are my favorite co-ops. Both are meaty and have lots of interesting quirks, but it's hard to gauge if you'd like them. Robinson Crusoe is also really good but it's quite heavy. Gears of War is also great if you don't mind a dungeon crawler; I really really love using my hand of cards as my life points

Any action selections type games would probably work well: Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, Eminent Domain. These all give you tactical choices each turn for interaction along with some long term strategy/engine building.

Any tight worker placement game (eg Agricola) would also have some tactics in denial, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Reef Encounter is a great tactical game with some strategic meat too. It's a tile placement game along the lines of Tigris and Euphrates.

I haven't played Keyflower yet, but it seems like it has a large "games within games" feel meaning there would be lots of opportunities for both tactics and strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Dominant Species a go, has a very strong tactical element. Same goes with something like Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization or even Polis: Fight for the Hegemony. Tactics won't get all the way, but it will certainly help a lot. These games are pretty meaty overall.

Keyflower does indeed have strong tactical elements in form of activating buildings to prevent other use and spite bidding. You really need to play to the tiles that come out every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
For something Ameritrashy for two, I recommend Runewars. Its great at 2p and while there plenty of strategy the events deck gives you unexpected twists and turns to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Rebellion / Forbidden Stars / Blood Rage / Cry Havoc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower is a very tactical game which you might enjoy.
There is very little long term strategy, its all evaluate and react tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
It sounds like you want:

- A board
- No engine building
- 2 player

This screams Nations to me. I think it's a quite good, but not great game, but it may well have the right balance for you. It has a handicap system that works really well that you and your wife could balance each other with if needed, and plays 2-5p and is equally good at all counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
It sounds like you want:

- A board
- No engine building
- 2 player

This screams Nations to me. I think it's a quite good, but not great game, but it may well have the right balance for you. It has a handicap system that works really well that you and your wife could balance each other with if needed, and plays 2-5p and is equally good at all counts.

Nations is 100% engine building, ain't it? (I've played it, didn't like it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.