Across Suez» Forums » Rules

Subject: bridge unit and final LOC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Stumph
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
A few questions: (1) Can the bridge unit move through a hex with both sand and clear in it? (2) Can the final LOC be traced through a hex with both sand and clear in it? (3) Once the bridge unit is in place, can units move through it and off the board even if an enemy unit is exerting an EZOC on the bridge unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey - nice to see questions on this great little game - lots of fun to play. Here is my take on these questions:

Quote:
(1) Can the bridge unit move through a hex with both sand and clear in it?

[14.2] says the bridge can only enter CLEAR and ROAD hexes. Since there two terrain types in the hexes you are asking about, and [4.2] says any hex with more than one terrain is entered at the HIGHER of the two costs, and [12.3] says any terrain with more than one type gives the higher defensive rating, so I say a part clear part sand hex is NOT a clear hex. So no go for the bridge IMHO.

Quote:
(2) Can the final LOC be traced through a hex with both sand and clear in it?
Since [14.0] says only road and or clear hexes, I use the same point as above. However, I see your point of asking, because that kinda means 'must be a ROAD' since it is hard to see how clear could come into it. Well, here is an example: Egyptian unit in 0210 and thus his ZOC cuts the road in 0211. BUT the CLEAR hex in 0212 would allow the Line of communication to continue. And if the Egyptian unit is in 0211? Well, Israeli units in 0312 and 0212 would negte his ZOC, thus allowing the LOC to continue. (Assuming the bridge is in 0112.)

Quote:
(3) Once the bridge unit is in place, can units move through it and off the board even if an enemy unit is exerting an EZOC on the bridge unit?
THAT is the only question I feel is tougher to answer. [11.1] says yes, so I go with that. For an example, the bridge/bridgehead is at 0112, and the Egyptian is at 0111. The Egyptian ZOC is on the road in 0211, meaning no movement there. But an Israeli unit could move 0412 / 0312 / 0212 / onto the bridge in 0112 and if he has 1 MP left, cross the canal. Heck, I think that means a 4-12 Israeli unit could start in 1408 on the road and exit the board! (or close to it - have to get out the map to see! Oh wow - look! If the northern road is open he could start in 1606 I think! That is ALMOST from board edge to board edge! But that is the goal of the game - the roads have to be free of interdiction by ZOC to win!

Thanks for asking questions to get me to look at this fun game again!

--- Russ

And you might enjoy my site at www.spigames.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Stumph
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks Russ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.