Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Nichols
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Making a run thru for the first time

Looking at this example it says that Lilybaeum card to satisfy the colonist requirement. However this card has no colonist symbol printed on it. Error in the example?

Also, the rules did not explicitly state the breakdown of the card. am I to infer that the top portion is what I used transport wise to get to a location, and the bottom half is used to satisfy rule requirements?

Troy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Looking at this example it says that Lilybaeum card to satisfy the colonist requirement. However this card has no colonist symbol printed on it. Error in the example?

Yes, that's a mistake. Substitute Lilybaeum with Hippo Acra. I think Lilybaeum had a colonist on it at one point during development, and it was later removed. I just forgot to update the example.

Quote:
Also, the rules did not explicitly state the breakdown of the card. am I to infer that the top portion is what I used transport wise to get to a location, and the bottom half is used to satisfy rule requirements?

Yes. The top portion shows the connected locations and the transport required to travel to those locations. The stuff at the bottom (parchment) are the various resources of the card that you can use for actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Nichols
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In after thought of finishing our first game that we had to struggle through the rules more than we should have or wanted to. The game was not that difficult in hindsight, but slogging thru the rules which I thought could have been clearer in many sections was tiresome. A picture of the cards with explanations would have been helpful for example.

This is my opinion and I am trying to be objectively honest which is difficult as some subjectivity will spill out. My friend and I are experienced war gamers and perusing thru rules of various lengths and complexity is no stranger to us. But I think of many hybrid euro gamers looking to expand their repertoire of gaming and then get derailed by the rules in a system they are unfamiliar with.

This is by all means not to throw fiery darts at the designer or discourage him. A designer who has lovingly and tireously worked and published a really good game in my opinion. A labor of love if you really think about about it in terms of time commitment and what he received for his work.

Just concerned with the rules as is in places where it was not clear -- especially for playing the game for the first time. Our baptism of fire into the system. I am sure that many will disagree with my findings. And that is ok

I thought it was interesting that a player was able to select his cards to draft instead of the usual deck building mechanism of only being able to select what was available at random.

Overall, it is a keeper and will see many more plays. My desire in all of this posting is how can we make more better and easier to start up and firing on all cylinders

Troy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend reviewing the companion guide they posted here. It has some good card descriptions you are looking for as well as examples of play. I found it helped to clarify a few things.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136548/bw-companion-guide...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.