Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ratings_episode_999 [+] [View All]
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a minute, huh? Isn't this not yet released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It comes out in Q4, but folks were able to demo the game at GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
I've heard that logic dated a rating system once. It ended nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're late to the party

The Greatest Game of All Time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
You're late to the party

Cough...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:
I've heard that logic dated a rating system once. It ended nasty.

Yep...it's called pathetic!

So much for utilizing a rating system to determine a game worthy of purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wishful exuberance ... lustful hopefulness.

It's new...it's probably perfect...
I want this game because I have other games like this or love/like the theme or mechanics...thus it's gonna be awesome.

or,

I played a 20min demo at a Con once...oh you weren't there...dude you missed it, it was like the best game ever...and you missed it...I'll rate it for you. See what you missed.

Aside from that, This will be an auto buy for me for a slew of reasons that I hope pan out. I usually rate games fairly high, but I only rate the game I like. It's not a perfect rating system that's why I read reviews and watch play through videos if I'm looking for game purchasing advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A demo makes a great game...uh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
You're late to the party

Indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:

That has never been a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
sabbat00 wrote:

Maybe not. But isn't that the intent? Otherwise, do away with it completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They won't do away with it.

It's fine until you start to take it seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone uses it differently, but it is pretty much a meaningless dataset for most decisions. Like one of those top 10 lists that are everywhere... fun, but useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
tumorous wrote:
sabbat00 wrote:

Maybe not. But isn't that the intent?

Why would you think that? Can you seriously not think of any other reason that people might want to rate games, and see how the community's collective ratings form rankings, other than for telling people what games to go buy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It stands to reason that the people who queued up to demo would be the ones that were really enthusiastic about the game.

Equally, it makes sense that the ones who really liked it would be the ones who come on here and rate it.

I'm sure the rating will calm down once the game is released and more people have played it - until then, we just remember why GeekRatings (and the top 100 etc) are based on more than just the average of the rankings people have given it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those darn time travelers. Stop spoiling a game's worth for us non-time travelers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
It stands to reason that the people who queued up to demo would be the ones that were really enthusiastic about the game.

Equally, it makes sense that the ones who really liked it would be the ones who come on here and rate it.

I'm sure the rating will calm down once the game is released and more people have played it - until then, we just remember why GeekRatings (and the top 100 etc) are based on more than just the average of the rankings people have given it.

As one of those who have seen it but not rated it yet, I agree it will change when it's released and more players will be able to give an more informed rating.

My prediction? It'll go UP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:

As one of those who have seen it but not rated it yet, I agree it will change when it's released and more players will be able to give an more informed rating.

My prediction? It'll go UP!

Agreed with Rich. It's Lovecraft coming from FFG with the experience of at least 10 years of dedicated publications, and the heritage of two different LCG lines covnerging into this one. It's a full 10 for me, and I'm counting the days to the gamma release
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have high hopes for this game, I'm planning on getting it as soon as it appears, and hope to play it lots.

That said, I think a drop in ratings is inevitable when it becomes fully available - people will try it who may be less sold on the theme. Some people will like the gameplay, but rate it low because they feel the 1-core-box experience is incomplete. There are bound to be people who hi I it's too easy / too difficult. There will be people who just rate more conservatively (I.e. "I never go above an 8")

I can see this being a big hit, but can't see the average staying above 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.